What's new

Compare your amp/receiver to a brand of car. (1 Viewer)

Kevin_R_H

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Ed,

Let's not forget that Krell has a wide range of products, from the $2,500 KAV-400xi integrated amp all the way up to the $120,000 Master Reference monoblocks. Certainly the latter would be one of the "best" amps in the world.

But the cheapest Ferrari is the $175,000 Modena 360 (soon to be replaced by the F430). Ferrari sells no "budget" cars. And compared to many audio manufacturers, $2,500 for an integrated amp (that's preamp + power amp) is pretty run-of-the-mill.

While Krell undoubtably makes excellent gear, it has very little "mystique" - it is fairly commonplace hi-end stuff. And since many people desire things that they perceive to be exclusive, Krell has the "mystique" of dental floss. Again, that's not to say some amp of theirs that cost $8,000 might outperform (if that's definable) some esoteric gear that costs much more.

But the same is true of cars. There could be someone's definition of "quality" in which a Honda will outperform a Ferrari (reliability, comfort, etc). After all, the Ferrari's windows may stop working after 6 months, or the A/C gives out 3 months later. But that doesn't stop them from being ultra-desirable.

Kevin

Kevin_R_H

Stunt Coordinator
Ed,

Here's a list of some amplifiers that I consider to be "more desirable" than all Krell amps (outside of the $120,000 Master Reference):

Atma-Sphere MA-3
Audio Note Ongaku Neiro 2A3
Cary Audio CAD-1610-SE
CAT JL1 Signature
EAR M100A
GamuT S-600M
Halcro dm58
Jadis JA200
Joule Electra VZN-220 Rite of Passage
Lamm Industries ML2.1 SET (Tube)
Lamm Industries M2.1 (Solid State)
Music Fidelity Tri-Vista
MBL 9011
Pass Labs X1000
Reimyo PAT777 300B
Tenor Audio 300HP
Theta Citadel
VAC Phi 70 Ultriode
VTL Siegfried
WAVAC SH-833

I'm sure there's quite a few more, but I am not familiar with every High-End manufacturer out there.

Kevin

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I think that it would be fair to put my 5.1 Onkyo receiver and my 4wd Toyota Tacoma pickup in the same category. They're both mid grade when it comes to price and have more power than I'll ever get around to using.

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
I got no problem with an audi A8 at all. That would be sweet.
I have no krell amps. Quite happy with my Brystons.

Jake S

Stunt Coordinator
Avr507....not exotic, but sporty enough , smooth, solid, luxerious, powerful, but some are a bit buggy, etc.....
Mercedes?

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Margules Audio ACRH-1

Relatively exotic, beautiful and with extremely good performance for what it is, at a decent price

Audi S3

Onkyo TXSR500 (Yeah, Im more in to stereo)

Modest with all the goodies, utilitary, relatively fast

Chrysler PT Crusier Turbo

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
How does one compare all these tubed amps to the hypothetical Krell? Some have seriously deficient frequency response, others have signficant output impedance, and some were designed by madmen on LSD. Some have grounding issues. This is desireable? Some have only a couple of watts of usable power. Like going around and telling the world, 'hey, i've got a half inch penis.' I mean, its kind of like getting a dog that stutters. Its unique, funny, your friends marvel, but eventually you want a dog that just goes bow-wow and not ba-ba-ba-ba-wa-wa-wow. But hey, different strokes.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Chu Gai,

After about 30 seconds, the only thing I remember from your post is that you have a half inch penis. :eek:

:D

Martin.

Kevin_R_H

Stunt Coordinator
Chu,

I realize you don't like music. You don't listen to music. You probably don't even know what a piano looks like. This hobby (and particularly the people who partake in the hobby) is just one big scientific experiment to you. So, I completely understand your non-musical approach to "Solid State vs Tubes". That's cool - you're not the only one who prefers test tones to Louis Armstrong.

However, eight of the amps listed above are Solid State.

And of the tube amps listed above, which of them have "grounding issues"? Which have "deficient frequency response"? Which have only a "couple of watts of usable power"? Which were designed by a "madman"? Most importantly, which of the above tube (or solid state) amps have you tried in your own system?

And even if these amps have "issues", well, so do many "exotic" automobiles. That doesn't make them any less desirable (which is what Ed asked me to provide).

Kevin

Chris Brock

Second Unit
Hmm Yamaha HTR 5760. I would say it would be most like a loaded VW Jetta TDI. Sure it might be a little lacking in the power department but it is easy to drive, has all the latest comforts that one could expect and is known to give the owner alot of milage before major problems set in. Future mods will include replacing the drivetrain with a turboed VR6 powerplant that should let me put around 200w x 7 down to the pavement!

Dean_S

Second Unit
I'd compare my HK DPR2005 to a Lexus RX400h (Hybrid). Small, efficient, different from other RXs without looking different, but still as powerful as it's regular counterpart. Most analog HLs I'd compare to VW, decent, well built, reasonably priced, good performance. Overall, my entire HT system compares nicely to my M5...extreme performance is stealthy package.

EdNichols

Second Unit
Kevin,
Thanks for the list. I have heard of some of those brands, but it still seems the audio mags use Krell as a benchmark more than those brands. That is not to say that they won't sound as good or better than Krell, it is just that Krell is what they use to benchmark by quite a bit. Are you saying Krell is overrated? Do I dare say like Bose?

Kevin_R_H

Stunt Coordinator
Ed,

Even though I don't care for Krell gear, I'm not going to say it is overrated. Their stuff is very well made - it's just not what I would buy if I had the cash.

(Of the amps I listed, "MBL 9011 monoblocks" would be my dream amp)

If someone gave me $50,000 - $75,000 to put a 2-channel system together, and allowed me to replace that system every week with another one of similar cost, it might be 7 or 8 months before I finally got around to inserting a Krell amp into the mix.

As for these audio magazines, why would they use Krell as a benchmark? Certainly, one reason is that it is high quality. But another might be that their readers will have a decent chance of being familiar with the sound. After all, what good is a "benchmark amp" to their readers if they have never even heard of the manufacturer?

Kevin

UliseZ

Grip
i would say that Pioneer is ford and Pioneer Elite is Lincoln Mercury like the Mercury Mariner is the VSX-52TX, Mercury Mountanainer is the VSX-54TX and VSX-56TXi and the Lincoln Navigator the VSX-59TXi

Jake S

Stunt Coordinator
You will never get much agreement on esoteric amps OR esoteric cars in so far as how they compare on a quality level on what would be a familiar , but exotic brand...too many people convince themselves that because brand "x" is SOOO unobtainable and unrecognized by everyone else , it is more desirable than the merely great and expensive brands. I am more impressed by the people who have a great sounding system and all their gear is hidden.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
I would say my yamaha rxv-1400 is more of a non turbo toyota supra. Alot of performance. Not too flashy, but you can still do better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks