What's new

Compare your amp/receiver to a brand of car. (1 Viewer)

EdNichols

Second Unit
How would you rate your amp or receiver when comparing it to a car brand? For example, I see a McIntosh being kinda like a Mercedes, expensive, high dollar components, little on the snobby side. Krell, something like a Ferrari, really expensive, sleek, posh maybe.

Personally I have an NAD, I would compare this to a Buick, smooth, not overly flashy, but does everything just about right.

What about you? Anybody got a Yugo?

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
I can go with Krell as a Ferrari or Masarati.
My Bryston's maybe BMW for perofmace but also like a GTO on price. Strong and refined.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

A Buick in my HT rig????? NEVER!:D

Given my experience with my 762, I would be more inclined to say a current Volkswagen. While the NAD aspires to be a BMW (all about performance, and until the stupid iDrive debuted along with ugly Bangle styling, no useless frills), or maybe an Audi, it falls short in the QC dept, like a contemporary VW (note to VW owners....chill! I base my opinions on the automotive press, not 1st hand experience).

BGL

EdNichols

Second Unit
Actually(knock on wood) my T762 has not had a single problem. Maybe the Buick comparison was a little off. I'll go for a Volkswagen, but it has to be a Passat. I don't see my NAD comparing to a Beetle.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Mine's easy: I guess I'd compare my Integra to Acura. :D In all seriousness, it is to Onkyo what Acura is to Honda, based on a solid underpinning with a few more enhancements that are nice to have if you can afford them.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Denon 3805 == Mazda Miata. All show, no go. :D Or maybe a BMW Z4 with the 2.5L engine?

Pioneer 1014TX == Nissan Altima. Nice power; sad that it's front wheel drive.

Martin.

mackie

Supporting Actor
My denon/outlaw setup is like a mustang. It's not the absolute in anything but has a lot of power when you want it. It's cost to performance ratio is lower than most.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I like this query! (I like cars :b )
Outlaw Audio 950 pre-pro/7-channel 770 Outlaw Amp

I would consider my combo fairly unique. Does not include every refinement, bells and whistle available, but (thankfully) without the cost associated with the cachet of ‘designer’ name brands like say,..um the
Aston M. V12 Vanquish or A Mayback 62, (touted as a rolling CEO’s environmental bubble)

But definitely unique in class
I think Hummer, when considering the build/strength, of Outlaw amps.

The pre-pro I’d rate when I think of sports car, (which are the only type cars I think on :) )
..something of a mix of a few of the strengths of several models I’ve browsed.

Like a Viper: with race caliber brakes, track-ready suspension, decent ergonomics, -in fact, as regards the Outlaw looks (sometimes discussed) I now rate the looks/ interface even higher after having in my AV rack for long ownership. Just a hair Spartan and a “just-enough” mentality, same as that of the German Luxury builders, - can be a bit stiff in the leather. Elevated driver skills can be fun applied to max out capability, but makes a less schooled driver look good.

Or the upcoming 05 Corvette: Long recognized as regards its power/handling being on par with many far more expensive (and European) world class models per dollar per HP and handling. With more daily-driver livability than many in its power class always a bargain when compared to cars of similar capabilities. The PrePro definitely akin to the higher powered upcoming “Z06” version if paired with the Outlaws own (or equal stature) amp, giving up plenty of usable power on demand. Tremendous value for dollar.

Something lesser known, like the new European built 2005 Lotus Elise, Uninhibited steering, more Formula One than stuffy Grand Touring. Limited dealer network. Supercar performance without supercar price. Or WRX Sti, when tweaked and beefed, representing the ultimate in affordable all-wheel-drive performance with stunning acceleration, for its class. Or Porsche Boxster, a bit less everything (especially- price!) than the Porsche Carrera GT
, but with its own unique combination of traits that few cars can come close to matching at its price point.

I’ve tended towards some American Muscle types in my comparison, partly because Outlaw does not have the exotica of Bel Canto’s or the extreme adjustability of some model Lexicon’s ( tweaks in cars like Lexus who provides ride-height chassis adjustment on certain models which is automatically engaged at highway speeds).

There is a certain coarseness in Corvette's I do not find in the 950. But this statement by Dan Lienert of Forbes.com regarding the 2005 model seems reminiscent to me, of 950 characteristics.

“The Corvette is extremely responsive and maneuverable, and somehow manages to feel more refined than ever; yet it's still incredibly tough. After driving the Corvette, I immediately got behind the wheel of a BMW Z4. To do so is to go from classic American muscle to sleek, modern European minimalism. Suddenly there is wood paneling. There is a slender, artsy typeface on the speedometer. The Z4 is fast and fun, but next to the Corvette it feels like a toy”

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator
I'd consider my Outlaws to be along the lines of the British TVR's. Pure sports car with no frill like A/C or power anything.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I have an Anthem AVM-20 with a Sherbourn 5/1500A. I would say this combo is a lot like an Acura TL. Very good performance, very good appearance, not the cheapest car on the lot but the pride of ownership is definately there and it's certainly built to last.

By the way, I don't own an Acura TL...I own an Audi A4 and I would never compare my setup to my Audi...for my Audi has never lived up to it's price with the performance it's given me...and I'm always worried about it.

But I have owned Acura's in the past and will own one again in the future.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
Bose does not equate to any model car. Because cars have to prove stickered HP,torque and Gas mileage estimates (or face a fine.)
Bose fines anyone who tries to verify theirs. :D

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
From some of the posts on refurbed receivers, it would seem like those belong to the FIAT brand (Fix It Again Tony).

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
Denon 1604 = Toyota Camry, 4cyl.

Bread and Butter, no flash, not so much speed. It's reliable, the g/f can 'drive' it without many problems. And it'll see me through to when I can afford a racier model. It's a step up corolla-like 1403.

Ah well. How many 23 year olds are driving a 'Vette??

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Marantz 8300 = BMW 540 (with a little Dinan help :D ). It's not an M5, but it does what it should without really standing out from the crowd. With the monoblocks on top of that, it has considerably more midrange punch :) Handling is great and ride is comfy, if a bit on the soft side.

Kevin_R_H

Stunt Coordinator
If "Krell = Ferrari or Maserati", where does that leave the 30 or so companies that make amps that are considered more desirable?!?

Let's see...

We have McLaren, Lamborghini, Maybach, Rolls, and, well, that's about it (and the Enzo is probably more desirable than any of them).

So, no, I don't think "Krell" really equates to Ferrari or Maserati. Perhaps Krell is like an Audi A8. Very nice, but not likely to impress the folks in the know.

Kevin

Oh, and my amps are Cosmos monoblocks made by KORA - I hesitate to give my opinion on which car to compar them to. Sorry

Girish

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
girish
I can compare my HK signature 2.1 to my Discovery. Both heavy duty and look good but can break down any time!!!!
Also nobody pays retail on both.

EdNichols

Second Unit

Would you care to name a few amp companies that are more desirable than Krell? Seems like Krell is named quite a bit in magazine articles when naming a benchmark amp to compare to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks