What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Community - Season 2 Thread (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Abed's meta reference to bottle episodes was pretty funny:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottle_episode

The monkey being Annie's Boobs never clicked with me until I read this thread. So it's even funnier.

And props to the AD&D alignment chart. I can appreciate it as a geek who played AD&D for most of high school.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
But there's some major bullshit in that AD&D chart, too -- everybody knows "Chaotic Good" is the coolest alignment, which means it should go to Abed.

Surprisingly, Shirley might've made me laugh the hardest last night:

"I'll LINEAR your ass!"

"That doesn't even make sense."

"I'll make your ASS sense!"

Having the whole thing take place inside the study room, and be nothing but a slow-burn of character moments, was a refreshing change from the space and zombie "epic" episodes.

Oh, and apparently Jeff and Britta have been done it more than once ("Usually?"). Anyone wondering when that might have been? I wouldn't have a problem with them being FWBs. Makes the condom-reveal even funnier, if there's actually a little jealousy going on there.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
has this show ever broken its reality? i mean references to bottle episodes and such isn't really doing it - it's consistent to Abed's personality to make everything in his life about tv and movies. but has anyone ever looked into the camera or referred to the actor's name and such?

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
OK - so, Donald Glover and Gillian Jacobs have swapped Twitter accounts, and IT. IS. GLORIOUS.

GillianJacobs
Sorry for the last tweet! I just slid my dick across the keyboard! #DICKSLIDE

MrDonaldGlover
Cats are the best companions. They'll never leave you and they have such soulful eyes, you know?

MrDonaldGlover
Ladies, let your garden grow free. #Groomingisforassholes

GillianJacobs
Just accidentally got paid $30 to poop on a glass table for Kevin Spacey! SILLY ME! #penis

Dickslide!

Some more awesomeness:

MrDonaldGlover
What's on my mind? Oh, just thinking about babies. I want kids like, yesterday. P.S. I already own a stroller. Don't judge, it was on sale

MrDonaldGlover
If I don't meet your mother by the third date I am OUT! #iwannagetmarriedbydec31st

GillianJacobs
Follow Wednesday: @limpbizkit, @limpbizkit, @limpbizkit, @icarlynews

GillianJacobs
UGH! MY DICK SMELLS THE WAY JOHN MAYER LOOKS!!!

GillianJacobs
JUST SLAMMED MY PENIS IN CAR DOOR. CLUMSY ME!

GillianJacobs
JUST FELL ON MY HUGE DICK. WHOOPS!

I think Glover wins in this battle, but I really enjoyed both. He even changed her profile to an anatomical drawing of a penis. She turned his into a cat with glasses.

I don't usually care about what goes on behind the scenes of movies or television shows. I don't care which actors are bastards in real life. That being said, for whatever reason, I love, love, LOVE that this cast seems to genuinely like and have fun with one another. It makes an awesome show that much awesomer.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm dropping out of school. The success of the couple of homage episodes last season has gone to their heads, and now that's all it is. It's like Family Guy recognition humor all the time, which I'm not into. Reality is out the window. I was just rolling my eyes at all the activity in the blanket fort. It's just become a show that isn't for me, but it's cool that the rest of you are digging it.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Although there hasn't been an "homage" episode for at least three weeks now, and they've said they have no plans to do another one until at least next year. Out of the eight or nine already-aired episodes this season, there've only been two so far, in the strictest sense -- the "Apollo 11" episode and the Halloween "zombie" one (which was something of a no-brainer to do). Everything else has pretty much been straight-ahead whole-cloth original.

If anything, Community is the true American version of Spaced, using a surface of pop-culture referencing, and combining it with insightful character humor and pretty infectious cast-chemistry. But yeah, I sorta had a feeling the "I-want-things-more-realistic" crowd were gonna hate last night's episode.

They're goddamned FOOLS! So fucking good. I think we hit the point where this season no longer has to live up to last season. With zombies, trampolines, the pen-episode, and this one -- all in a row -- they've passed it by.

I absolutely loved this episode. It seemed to be the perfect balance between absurdity, fun, and a little bit of character work (especially on the Jeff/Annie front). When the cop came through the door and gave his little speech, I couldn't help but think of the Arrested Development episode "Pier Pressure" ("You taught me a lesson about not teaching lessons?").

This was a good episode because there was running continuity, character moments and absurdity, and also some plotline-pushing. It fired on all fronts. I think this one was a response to all the "mythology" shows currently out there, like Lost, Rubicon and The Event. I dug it, even though half the cast was underutilized.

Also, Troy and Abed initiating "Protocol Omega" was beautiful.

And, as if I needed any more reasons to love Alison Brie, I found these today:

I just wanna cuddle her. After having the hot sex, of course.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
Again for me another solid episode. I really loved the blanket fort. I did have a hard time though following all of the ruse within a ruse within a ruse within a conspiracy......or something like that. Hell I'm not even sure when the ruse/conspiracy actually started. None-the-less this show is still the only one that actually gets me to laugh out loud almost every episode.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by joshEH

I dug it, even though half the cast was underutilized.

I think that tends to be the best move that a show with a bigger cast can make at some points though. When I think about it, this episode seemed to really heavily focus on only a pair of characters because the blanket fort scenes were relatively few even for a B-plot.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
You can call me whatever names you want, but last week's was a homage to closed room dramas, and this week's was them doing something like Deathtrap. Doesn't matter, because I'm not going to offend your sensibilities by posting in this thread any longer since I won't be watching.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Oh, shit, Greg -- really sorry; that "FOOLS!!" comment was completely straightfaced, overserious-pompous-tongue-in-cheek. I hope you didn't think I was trying to belittle anyone, there. I guess sometimes my personal sense of humor can drift into the...eccentric, you might say. Sorry if it got taken the wrong way; I thought about using a smiley right afterwards, but didn't (for whatever reason). Honest apologies!

Did anybody else notice that the Dean was kinda doing Sean Penn at end of The Game, at the end of the episode? "YOU'RE NOT DAD!!!" I didn't make that connection originally, but I can see it now.
(Click.) Big fan of the random Latvian Independence Parade.
"Don't look me! They had the proper permits." "Isn't that him playing the trideksnis?" Also:

• "You're going to Nancy Screw me out of my credits!"
  • "I know a shortcut through the Turkish district."

I love everything about this show. And of course, I'm now waiting for them to provide us with a couple of actual pages/excerpts from Time Desk.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Apology accepted. I think the main point I'm trying to make, though, is that I'm not going to be one of those people who stops liking a show and has to let everyone know week in and week out. I'd have to look back, but I don't think I harped on the zombie episode after making my one post. When everyone is loving something, I figure just let them and don't be the asshole.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand the love this show gets around these parts, but it entertains me enough to keep tuning in every week. I'm rabidly passionate about enough other shows I figure let the fans have their thread.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
I think the main point I'm trying to make, though, is that I'm not going to be one of those people who stops liking a show and has to let everyone know week in and week out.

i can understand where you're coming from, i used to love How I Met Your Mother, but now i only seem to post on that thread to occasionally complain how crap it's gotten. if it weren't for my late interest in Rules of Engagement, i'd have stopped watching HIMYM a while ago (1 hour DVR blocks just seem more convenient).

but for the record, i've LOVED community this whole season, good to see it's not going through a sophomore slump like Modern Family seems to be; in fact this show is only getting better.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Well, it's a fine line. It sounds like you want to still like HIMYM, but just report in with your disappointment from time to time. I may hang in with Community a while longer, but I'll probably only post when I like something.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I'm still chuckling this morning about the blanket fort chase scenes. This show just really appeals to my taste in humor.

Oh, while I'm thinking about the blanket fort, what was that freaky Britta sex lounge? I feel like I've seen that "scene" before in a movie or show but can't quite put my finger on it.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

The success of the couple of homage episodes last season has gone to their heads, and now that's all it is. It's like Family Guy recognition humor all the time, which I'm not into. Reality is out the window. I was just rolling my eyes at all the activity in the blanket fort.

I've thought the same thing, honestly. The paintball episode was a great surprise and brought a change of pace to the season as a whole. The new season doesn't have a flow because every episode is a deconstruction of an archetype. At first I was impressed and amused, but I'm getting a bit worn out as it goes on. I can understand the incredible appreciation for what they are doing week to week because its so intricate and creative, but it certainly doesn't feel like the same show from season one.

My biggest peeve is that Jeff seems to be a wild card from week to week just to mold the show into whatever format they want - I could care less about him anymore because he seems like a plot device and not a person. In most of season one, I thought they could pair any two characters for a main plot OR subplot and it would be fascinating to watch the chemistry. That's not the priority anymore, it seems.

I can't imagine how anyone can maintain the energy and concentration it takes to deconstruct genres over a 22 episode season on a tight TV schedule. Not to mention they're now drifting into mythology territory where we're getting callbacks to previous events. I'm very curious what the first episode back from the holiday break will be like.

I still laugh at a big percentage of jokes and I like most of the characters so I'm nowhere close to dropping the show, but it's like watching a loved one try too hard to prove themselves and you have to bite your tongue for fear of breaking their heart.

It's hard for me to drop a show and give up on characters that I like, even when things aren't working as well. I still watch The Office, even though I have much bigger gripes with them than I do with Community. As far as NBC Thursday nights, I'm really missing me some Parks & Recreation right now...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Derek Miner

As far as NBC Thursday nights, I'm really missing me some Parks & Recreation right now...

It returns on January 20 at 9:30 PM. Considering P&R is now on between The Office and 30 Rock (which will be moving to 10), it should get a nice bump in ratings.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Thanks for the post, Derek. You articulated my thoughts much better than I was able to, and it is good to know I'm not *completely* a man in the wilderness.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Me, I'm enjoying the surrealistic bent this season is taking. I'm all for comedies willing to take chances, as I'm getting far too tired of the standard 3-camera comedies (of the CBS ilk, these days).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks