What's new

Community - Season 2 Thread (1 Viewer)

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
What a solidly funny episode. For me, everything about it was just spot on. I really wish NBC would move this to another night where they aren't competing with a hugely popular hit on another channel. I know Community can bring in the people but if the people don't know about it then it will never be the hit it should be.

I just read the Christmas episode will be done in stop motion animation....wha? If this looks in any way shape or form like those old Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer shows then it will move it's way to the very top of my most loved comedies. There is no way they could pull of something like that.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Two years ago, I would've said the exact same thing about an NBC sitcom pulling off a witty zombie episode or an '80s action-fest homage, but that was before Dan Harmon's crew came along. If anyone's earned the right to a little healthy faith and anticipation, it's definitely them.

Just got that Britta says "Rowboat Cop" because she's never even heard of RoboCop. The thing that killed me about Walsh's reveal (besides, well, everything else about it), is that he's the least-angry virulent racist you ever saw. He doesn't even seem full of hate, so much as just really disappointed that the brown people have to ruin everything.

We've seen "cheerfully-racist" done plenty of places; "wanly-resigned racist," not so much. And Community continues to lead the way in misinterpreted-swastika humor.
The only thing that could have made this episode any better was if the girls DID go for the boob-bump.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by spshultz I just read the Christmas episode will be done in stop motion animation....wha? If this looks in any way shape or form like those old Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer shows then it will move it's way to the very top of my most loved comedies. There is no way they could pull of something like that.

It was done on one of the Christmas episodes of That '70s Show. I think it was fourth season. It wasn't the whole episode--just a segment or two with stop-motion Kelso.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Should note that the That '70s Show episode actually had Kelso in the Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer world, not just a similar stop-motion thing. The others made fun of him for wanting to watch it at his age, so he dreamed himself into it.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
It was also done in Home Improvement. I remember thinking then, how could they pull this off?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Thanks for the screen shots. It took me a minute to realize what "PROJECTED CYCLES" refers to, but. . .remember that episode of South Park with the butt-faced people who overloaded Cartman's sense of humor? I think that just happened to me. . .

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
OMG...thanks, Josh. Those rule.

Seriously, guys...I think this is the funniest sitcom I've ever watched. I love The Office and 30 Rock. I'm a big fan of classics like Cheers and Taxi. But, this show is friggin' HILARIOUS!!

I go around saying "It's gonna be a maze." all the time now.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
"Cooperative Calligraphy" is on tonight. "There's a lock down in the study room when Annie's purple pen goes missing and she suspects a member of the group took it."

Looking forward to this!

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Annie's boobs and Annie's Boobs, together again in one episode. Glorious.

(You gotta click.)

Funny how Gillian Jacobs' expression pretty much resembles my own at that point.

Really awesome episode. Nice to see them take it down a notch, and mine so many laughs out of so little spectacle. When Pierce slooowly lifted the nasty old Slim Jim to his mouth and started to nibble on it...ugh. ("Nice try, Stephen Fry!")

I love the way they easter-egged Abed's tracking of the girls' menstrual cycles with the RoboCop vision in the last episode, and officially established it in this episode, using it to callback to the Shirley/Chang pairing in the Halloween episode. And then we got the shot of Troy getting the wide eyes of recognition.

For a moment, I really thought it was gonna be Chang popping out of the vent.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Funny thing: If you watch the episode again, you can actually see a little monkey-hand steal the pen, right when they cut to Troy/Abed when the dean is talking.

(Click to animate.) ALL HAIL DAN HARMON.

They said they had to do an episode like this because the Zombie episode cost more, and took a number of extra days to shoot. I say, try another one this same way, please.

I literally cheered out loud when Annie's Boobs came out of the vent. It was like Arrested Development, but better. Because it was a monkey named after something I love. Abed with the chocolate was gold, as was Annie's realization of what he was doing.

Also, I loved that, right in the middle of Annie's Boobs' treasure trove, was a coffee mug with Troy and Abed's pictures, and one of the half-Jeff/half-Britta face balloons from the season premiere. Almost as if the monkey misses Troy as much as he misses it.

For those who didn't catch the "Gwynnifer" references, before Community ever came on the air, @Gwynnifer was/is the Twitter account of Dan Harmon's nemesis. She had major problems with a comedy video Harmon wrote/starred in ages ago that has some...questionable content. Mostly making fun of rape and retarded people. She took umbrage.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
Just got to watch this episode and it was pure genius! Very well done for being bottled up in the room for the whole episode.

I had some pretty good laughs during the menstrual/chocolate scenes and the removing of the cast scenes. Hell the whole episode was funny.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Due to a late dinner I had an honest-to-goodness spit-take at the chocolate comment. Good thing I wasn't sitting too close to the TV. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks