What's new

Commercial or Consumer (1 Viewer)

Bob Keenan

Auditioning
I am getting ready to buy my first plasma tv. I have a large room (seating 17' from tv). I have a decent 7.1 home theater system with a HD DVR. So here is the question. I don't need speakers, I don't think I need a tuner or a cable card or another DVR.

So it looks like a commercial plasma monitor (50") would work great???

Any problems with that?

I was looking at the Panasonic

TH-50PHD8UK

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The problem I see is that is a small screen for a 17' seating distance. Have you viewed the set at a showroom from 17' away?

Bob Keenan

Auditioning
Its the maximum size my wife will allow......

I have been living with a 35" sony vega for the past few years so this ought to seem giant.

But my real question is do I give up anything by going commercial vs consumer??

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
She doesn't believe bigger is better? I'm sorry, but I don't know the difference between them. If 50" is as big as you can go, you should definitely sit closer then.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
The glass and the scaler are the same as the consumer versions. With the commercial display you may have to also order input blades depending on how you want to feed the thing. Only other main difference is that warranty is "in home" for consumer units and "ship back" for the commercial displays.

Mort

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
The commercial set definitely gives you more control over the picture quality. Overscan, colors, black level, etc.

Plus, the commercial display gives you the choice between 3:2 pulldown *and* line doubling, whereas the consumer panel only has line doubling. (That's what the manuals say, anyway.)

I also personally prefer the remote with the commercial panels. Gives you one button access to each input. No cycling through a list or choosing from a menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks