What's new

Comcast High Definition--Questions for you (1 Viewer)

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
I live in Southeastern Pennsylvania, in Montgomery County... I spoke with a Comcast Rep this morning on the phone; she was cordial, but when I casually mentioned DVI she didn't know what that was. Fine. She informed me that I could only "rent" the High Definition Set-top box (I was under the mistaken impression you could buy it too) and that it would replace the digital box I have now.

The price would be the same as digital cable. She told me all the needed cables come with the box. Six stations are currently available in HD--two are premium channels. Comcast Sportsnet broadcasts some of its sporting events in HD.

1) For those that have the set-top box from Comcast:
Can I use my Yamaha receiver to get 5.1 DD audio?

2) If you watch the Regular channels through the hi-def input on Comcast's box, will I be able to stretch the picture on a widescreen set, or will I be stuck with black bars instead of grey for 4:3 programming? I read on other posts that it depends on which box Comcast gives you. The older boxes presented this problem....

3) How does the Comcast Sportsnet games look in HD and are you concerned about any burn-in issue with the time remaining logo that the games use?

Thanks very much.

Bob Maged

Stunt Coordinator
I have had Comcast HDTV service since Nov. 2002. The STB used is the Motorola DCT5100. It has been discussed at great length at the AVS Forum. You can find the answers to your questions in this thread and in this FAQ. There has also been dicussion of Comcast Sportsnet here.

To answer your questions briefly:

1--Yes, so long as you have an available optical or coaxial digital connection on your receiver you can hook it up to the DCT5100;

2--Per the FAQ, yes (I think);

3--Not offered in my part of NJ so I can't answer from experience.

There is no reason NOT to get Comcast HDTV if it is available to you. If you do not like it you can always cancel it.

The box does stretch the pic. You can choose the display resolution. I haven't messed with it, but I don't think you have aspect control.

I've been VERY impressed with the quality of the Flyers broadcasts. I really expected a much lower quality of production but Comcast seems to have jumped in with both feet. I can't speak for the Sixers games, I'm just not a fan.

Dan

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
Yes the box will let you select the output of the reqular channels via 480i/480p. I have mine set to 480p and all the stations are streteched. But dont be under the impression that I was. Youre picture quality on the non hd channels (even though output at 480p) will not the 480p of dvds. However some HD channels usually on HBO (like boxing or the bob costis and dan marino football show) letter box the sides. But this dosent happen but maybe 10 percent of the time on HBO.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
Comcast Sportsnet just had a 53' full mobile HDTV production trailor custom built by Sony that just went into commission a few months ago. The thing is awesome they're able to produce full live HDTV and EDTV content at the same time so the same cameras are used for both the HD and non HD feeds. Its a one of a kind trailer and I dont remember the price tag but its up there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks