What's new

International Pre-Order Columbia Noir #6: The Whistler (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
354_COLUMBIA_NOIR__6_packshot_72dpi_RGB_transp_1296x.jpeg

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Ordered direct a few days ago, Note that the last title is listed as SD format only. There seems to be no Three Stooges shorts in this box set like previous recent Columbia/Powerhouse sets.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
These Indicator box-sets are superb. I don't think I've ever see a Whistler movie so I'll investigate, but I'm already interested.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
These Indicator box-sets are superb. I don't think I've ever see a Whistler movie so I'll investigate, but I'm already interested.
Check out YouTube. These films are plodders, not even 'B's, and Richard Dix has had a charisma bypass. I think Secret is the best because Leslie Brooks lights up the screen.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Looks like a great upgrade from the Sony DVD collection released back in 2020. That older set didn’t include The Mark of the Whistler, which is standard definition in this new set. I wonder how good it will look.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
The Museum of Modern Art had a retrospective of all the Whistler films about 10 years ago. Having seen only 2 of them back then, I can see why Indicator has given them such a deluxe treatment. The two films I saw were entertaining, fast-moving examples of vintage 1940's black and white "B" pictures.

I was always reluctant to buy the previously released inexpensive offering , so hopefully a version of this will be released in the US, otherwise I may have to buy that region free player.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I was always reluctant to buy the previously released inexpensive offering , so hopefully a version of this will be released in the US, otherwise I may have to buy that region free player.

This seems like the kind of thing that Sony would farm out to Mill Creek. I'm surprised they haven't done so already.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ive been hoping for this type of set for a long time. I can finally now retire 7 DVDs. I had the Sony DVD releases of The Whistler films and now I have some extra space on the shelf! The DVDs look good so I would imagine the Blu-rays from Indicator to look marvelous!

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
This seems like the kind of thing that Sony would farm out to Mill Creek. I'm surprised they haven't done so already.
Sony has farmed them out to Mill Creek in an exclusive release on DVD from Critic's Choice Video and is still available.
w1.jpg
w2.jpg
I have this set and the films look pretty good. Note that MARK OF THE WHISTLER was not included on this release.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
If there's another release in North America, it should included this parody Jack Benny did on both his radio show and TV series.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
MARK was not included in the earlier set because it's based on a Cornell Woolrich story and the Abend estate wanted a zillion dollars and a nickel to give it back to Sony. Apparently somebody was finally able to make a deal.

Real Name
William D. Ferry
Thank you for clearing that up. I'd wondered why it was missing from the Mill Creek set. Also, just coincidentally the other day, I was trying to remember, "Who was that other SOB (not Rohauer) who went around seeing widows and orphans so he could glom onto their "rights" and sue everyone, allegedly on "their" behalf?" Your post gave me a good chuckle of reminiscence.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks