What's new

coffee spilled on remote (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

due to no fault of my own, a cup of coffee was spilled on my mx-500. grrr! anyway, it appears to be working okay, but i'm kinda worried about the internals. every once in a while, i still see coffee "seep" out of the buttons.

anyway, has anyone taken theirs apart? i've taken apart remotes in the past (for similar reasons) and have been pretty successful. usually, all i have to do is clean the electronic "membrane", and possibly the buttons.

anyway, if anyone has disassembled this particular remote....or if you have any suggestions in general, please let me know.

thx,

ted

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I'd be looking to open it up Ted and then clean off all the obvious coffee that there was followed by a light dabbing of all affected parts using distilled water (for your iron) in an absorbant cloth. The problems are going to come when the stuff dries which might affect circuit traces as well as making some areas unresponsive or unpredictable in behavior. You could always follow it up by using the cool setting on a hair dryer to fully dry the insides. Now who could've done something like that?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thx chu. that's pretty much what i was thinking. luckily, someone over at remotecentral gave me a good link.

http://www.bluedo.com/bluedocgi/faq/...&id=1013014303

basically all i had to do was twist the darn thing.

i've opened it up, cleaned out all the coffee that still remained, and cleaned all the little nooks 'n' crannies. i just used regular water and a *bunch* of q-tips! ... didn't think about using distilled ... hopefully that won't be an issue. also, i did use a hairdryer to give it a final onceover. (great minds think alike! :rolleyes::) )

my girlfriend's new cat! that's who! if she wasn't so damn cute i'd have done the 40-yard punt with her! :D

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
Ouch. I hope the screen doesn't come up saying "Got Cream"?

lol.

At the very least, I wouldn't use it for a while to allow it time to dry out. I'd pull the batteries out even.

Lex

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
That Ebay link is hilarious. I was just joking with someone the other day about wearing an aluminum foil hat to shield me from the aliens. I don't think they had ever heard of the reference, so I had to explain it and it wasn't funny.

...but this, this is pure paranoia!

Stephen Weller

Stunt Coordinator
Better still...PEOPLE ARE BUYING IT!!!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks