What's new

co-ax on surge protector (1 Viewer)

DerekCV

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone use the co-ax, or other various inputs, on a surge protector besides pluging 120 volt stuff?

Thanks.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I don't but all I have is an antenna in the attic so I don't think it has a great chance of being struck by lightning. The purpose of those is to prevent a surge coming from the cable. What is your co-ax hooked to (e.g. cable, satellite, etc.)?

Dan J

Agent
I had it running through the surge protector (Monster) but the picture wasn't quite as clean as before so I removed it.

I talked to the cable guy recently whho said that my boxes (Scientific Atlanta 8300HD) had a built in surge protector. Is it as good? I dunno, and I hope to never find out.

Dan

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
With many of the devices, I'm sure there is some small signal loss probably like 0.5db for going thru it. It is an easy decision in my case.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
One thing the coax connector on a surge protector does is tie the "shield" of the CATV coax to your power ground (the third prong on the power plug).

Sometimes - this solves hum that comes in on your CATV line (The CATV picks up 60 hz by running in parallel with power wires.)

But - it is a break in the signal path. If you were feeding a weak analog CATV signal through it - I would try to avoid the extra break. If the coax is bringing in a digital signal - it's a lot less likely to cause problems running through a power strip.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks