What's new

Cliffhanger SpEd............ (1 Viewer)

Declan

Second Unit
after living with the old NTSC LD for years i got a lend today of a friends SpEd R1 copy (which was a transfer of the old SpEd LD anyway, except that the movie itself was anamorphic and is in DD5.1)

What a friggin good disc it is. With most of the extras culled from the old LD (where if you got any extras they were usually very well thought out and produced). This one even has a making of the trailer (Cliffhanger still has one of the all-time greatest trailers).

Yeah some of you may not like the film.......most of you probably hate it with a passion. Me I love it.

But after years of looking at the rather ropey looking but great sounding LD I was blown away by the a/v quality of this disc.

The 5.1 is masterfull.....and extrodinarily powerfull. Check the bass out when the pilot gets killed and falls out the back of the plane during the robbery. Instense is'nt the word.

Picture quality is great although colours seem a little faded compared to the LD, but detail is fantastic.

Plus the movie is uncut (like the LD), so this version will never (probably) see the light of day over here in the UK.

Have to get one for myself now.
Jesus that 5.1 track..... another demo disc to show off.

Esten

Supporting Actor
The DVD is the US R-rated version.To my knowledge an uncut version of this film has never been released on any format.
Yes,the DVD is a great deal at under $10.Get it,for those that haven't.:)

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Hi,
I got the SE DVD as soon as it was released. For me, this was an upgrade from the old P&S and cut UK video, so having this film in OAR, uncut and with a good set of extras... well, let's just say I was very very happy. :)
Yeah some of you may not like the film.......most of you probably hate it with a passion.
Really? I always thought it was rather well liked, if you care for that sort of film. Personally, I think it kicks ass, and it's definitely one of Stallone's better action films. And John Lithgow's in it, which is always a plus! :)
Chris

Declan

Second Unit
The DVD is the US R-rated version.To my knowledge an uncut version of this film has never been released on any format
The UK version is heavily cut. The fight between Craig Fairbrass and Michael Rooker is turned into a pg-13 version.................now imagine what thats like.

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
I would rate Cliffhanger right up there with my favorite Stallone action movies. That one and Demolition Man are great. It went down hill from there with the exception being Cop Land. Cop Land shows Stallone can act, but has made some really bad choices in movies.

MarcinL

Stunt Coordinator
Yea Cliffhanger was on of few LD's I owned, than I got the first Cliffhanger DVD, the one with basic Menu, one of the first Columbia releases, I think back in late 97 or early 98 i dont remember, well anyways I picked this up in May of 2002 as Spec Edition for 9.95, Man these thing are so cheap now, I bought the First DVD for 24.95 now I bought SE for twice less than that. I LOVE DVD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i was able to get the spec ed laser about 5 years ago dor 25. at tower. it was a misprice should have been 125.

anyway i like the movie to and someday i'll pick-up the dvd too.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
This is supposed to be a Superbit title released sometime this year, either during Q3 or Q4, along with other Superbit titles like Men in Black I and II, Charlie's Angels, and In The Line Of Fire.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Per the IMDb:

In the UK there are four versions of Cliffhanger, all rated 15, which are the following...
Cinema Release: One minute and eight seconds are cut.
First Video Release: An extra 16 seconds are cut.
Current Video Release: Uncut (but may be the above video release)
DVD Release: Has above cuts and extra 2 seconds to remove sight of strong violence.

Declan

Second Unit
BBFC= British Board Of Film Censorship.

Ironicly the film is uncut here in Ireland but because all of the VHS and DVD releases come from the UK we have to suffer the cuts because of the UK video release is the same which is distributed in Ireland. But when Cliffhanger was shown on RTE 1(Irish TV channel) in 96 the movie was the US R-Rated version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks