What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Classic Flix Press Release: A Night In Casablanca (1946) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
2020-08-26_13-52-05.png

December 15, 2020

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Well, that confirms that Warner doesn't own A Night In Casablanca (well, either that, or Classicflix got a deal with Warner). Still, it's a Classicflix release, which means it should be good quality, and I look forward to seeing it!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Great news and even though it's not the best from the Brothers it's always good to see a new release from them.

Their later films always get a bad rap. They were never able to capture that magic from their early years. However, I will support all their releases on Blu-ray.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Their later films always get a bad rap. They were never able to capture that magic from their early years. However, I will support all their releases on Blu-ray.
My favorite is Go West from the later films but this one is good too. Funny story about them getting a letter from Warner Bros. inquiring about the story of the film to make sure there was no copyright infringement with the film Casablanca.

Reactions: PMF

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
My favorite is Go West from the later films but this one is good too. Funny story about them getting a letter from Warner Bros. inquiring about the story of the film to make sure there was no copyright infringement with the film Casablanca.
It may be apocryphal but supposedly Jack Warner threatened to sue over the word "Casablanca" in the title and Groucho sent him a letter threatening to sue over the word "Brothers" in their trade mark as the Marxes were around before the Warners.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It may be apocryphal but supposedly Jack Warner threatened to sue over the word "Casablanca" in the title and Groucho sent him a letter threatening to sue over the word "Brothers" in their trade mark as the Marxes were around before the Warners.

Yeah I don’t care if that story is true or not - it’s too good to not want to believe it.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
FYI, it's part of the Caidin Film Trust library now owned by Shout! Factory via Westchester Films. ClassicFlix also released Fritz Lang's You Only Live Once from the same library. The majority have been licensed by Criterion, though, like Foreign Correspondent, Stagecoach, I Married a Witch, and To Be or Not to Be.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
FYI, it's part of the Caidin Film Trust library now owned by Shout! Factory via Westchester Films. ClassicFlix also released Fritz Lang's You Only Live Once from the same library. The majority have been licensed by Criterion, though, like Foreign Correspondent, Stagecoach, I Married a Witch, and To Be or Not to Be.

I believe Frank Borzage's History Is Made At Night (1937) with Jean Arthur and Charles Boyer is part of that Caldin Trust library. I'd love for Criterion or ClasscFlix to get their hands on that and release it. However, I've never seen a decent print of it so I suspect some major restoration work needs to be done but when and if (and that's a big if) it gets released, I'm in!

DannyLewis

Stunt Coordinator
I believe Frank Borzage's History Is Made At Night (1937) with Jean Arthur and Charles Boyer is part of that Caldin Trust library. I'd love for Criterion or ClasscFlix to get their hands on that and release it. However, I've never seen a decent print of it so I suspect some major restoration work needs to be done but when and if (and that's a big if) it gets released, I'm in!
History is made at night is one of my most wanted titles.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
According to Wikipedia Westchester/Castle Hill holdings purchased by Shout! Factory
also include:

A Face in the Crowd
What's Up Tiger Lily
Breaker Morant
Baby Doll

StarDestroyer52

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Whoa. I haven't seen too much of the Marx Brothers later work, but I love ClassicFlix and the Marx Brothers. Time to head over to ClassicFlix and get my pre-order in. Love there work.

EDIT: I don't see it up yet, but I like to pre-order my titles from them direct. I think they said in the past that is what they prefer. Haven't been disappointed with any of their stuff.

Last edited:

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I was not really familiar with this film when I bought a DVD copy released in my country a good few years ago. It was a rather, unbelievably I thought, very clean print.

I got the A&C Africa Screams from Classicflix after they returned my money immediately without explanation. Classicflix then offered it thru eBay and I got it. I was puzzled that the extras list a set of Vintage cardboard 3-D glasses. They were not there, if that was to be. I contacted them but got no response. Should they have been there? Thanks

Yeoman007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
I was not really familiar with this film when I bought a DVD copy released in my country a good few years ago. It was a rather, unbelievably I thought, very clean print.

I got the A&C Africa Screams from Classicflix after they returned my money immediately without explanation. Classicflix then offered it thru eBay and I got it. I was puzzled that the extras list a set of Vintage cardboard 3-D glasses. They were not there, if that was to be. I contacted them but got no response. Should they have been there? Thanks

ClassicFlix still lists Africa Screams for sale on their website and the list of Bonus Features includes
  • One pair of replica Super-Sight 3-D glasses
They came with both my Blu-ray and DVD copies. However, since you got your copy through eBay, maybe that was a discounted Blu-ray that didn't include the glasses?

Rick

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Well, that confirms that Warner doesn't own A Night In Casablanca (well, either that, or Classicflix got a deal with Warner). Still, it's a Classicflix release, which means it should be good quality, and I look forward to seeing it!

They don't--It's the only Marx besides "Room Service" that seems to have fallen into OOC/public-domain, as rather I expected from ClassicFlix.
(Much like Abbott & Costello and "Africa Screams".)

And wait, WAS Africa Screams 3-D, or not? I seem to remember it being 2-D, and Bob Furmanek currently Kickstarting the official print restoration doesn't help clear up the confusion either.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
And wait, WAS Africa Screams 3-D, or not? I seem to remember it being 2-D, and Bob Furmanek currently Kickstarting the official print restoration doesn't help clear up the confusion either.

Africa Screams is 2D. Bob Furmanek has a special place in his heart for Abbott and Costello.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks