What's new

Citation Amps: Specifications (1 Viewer)

Aaron E. Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron E. Willson-Smith
Does anyone have the specs for the Citation 7.1 amps? I've gotten the specs available from the Madrigal site (what is left of it) and I was hoping that someone with an owner's manual would have more. I'd like to find out the capacitance of the power supply/supplies, signal-to-noise, etc. Just any info. would be helpful.

-Aaron

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Frequency response 3Hz-200KHz at rated output. Nothing on capacitance or SN. The 7.1's are the real thing. Just try lifting one! Hard to go wrong on a unit that is in good shape and fairly priced.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
The Citation 7.1 amp is awesome. As a 4 channel amp, they didn't really sell well in a 5.1 world...but now with 7.1 and passive svs subs, TWO citation amps (7.1 and/or 5.1) will rock your world. 7.1s are about $950 used, 5.1s are almost impossible to find.
My two 5.1s drive my 6ohm, 86dB sensitivity NHTs to over 105dB peaks with ease. I have NHT 3.3 mains, AC2, 1.5 sides, superzero rears, and two passive sw3p subs. And an MC1 :)

rich wu

Auditioning
The Citation 7.1 has 30,000 uF of capacitance per channel. There are 10 output transistors per channel. Overall,, the 7.1 is a very well made.

Aaron E. Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron E. Willson-Smith
Ricky, I was hoping to catch your attention with this message. We 'spoke' briefly a year ago over on DTForum about the whole Citation versus Adcom amp thing (I am currently using Adcom GFA-555's, but I'm moving and will be starting over my home theater when my wife and I get settled). I'm a little wary of Citation being gone (what if something happens to the amp) and of some problems I've seen others mention (popping and a few other issues). Also, I'm wondering if there are any mods out these that work on the Citations? (Like replacing the binding posts which seem to be hit and miss).

Rich, thanks for the info. It is really hard to find specs on the Citation other than the basic stuff. I know that the specs are only of marginal value, but I'll have to make some of my decisions based on this data--I won't be able to listen to most of the amp/speaker combos I want. Do you happen to have any more specs on the Citation? Stuff like the size of its transformer(s) or S/N ratio?

Also, what would you all think of the Citations driving Vandersteens, Magnepans, and Martin Logans?

Thanks again!!!

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Aaron,
As far as I know, Madrigal is still honoring citation warranties...and would do work for products out of warranty for a fee. Remember, 95% of those problems really didn't have anything to do with the amps themselves. FYI, Link Removed still has Bstock 7.1s with warranty.

Tim Baldwin

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron,

I have a 5.1, and here are all the specs they publish:

Power Output: 4x100, 1x300 + 2x100, 2x300

All at 20-20kHz

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks