What's new

Ciscogate -- imminent internet threat? (1 Viewer)

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
I've been reading about this in various venues this week:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3513_7-...ml?tag=nl.e757

Partway into Season 4 of '24', when everybody was speculating as to what the big threat for the season was going to be, I remember some discussions (both here at HTF and elsewhere) about the possibility of taking down the internet, and the resulting disasters.

A bit ironic in hindsight, given the very prominent product placement of Cisco in '24' S4...

Joel...Lane

Second Unit
Real Name
Joel
That story reminded me of the Y2K fears of 1999. NBC even produced a lame movie of the week based on it which aired a couple of months before Jan. 1, 2000 to really scare as many people as possible.

I'm sure anything is possible but I'd be more concerned about a meteor crashing into the planet before the Internet is shut down. (famous last words!)

And if my access to the HTF is cut off "before midday then there'll be hell to pay!";)

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, my (former) company hired some "Y2K Consultants" (otherwise known as crappy computer people who couldn't get a real IT position in a job market that was hiring 12 year olds to write web pages) and they had a big gloom and doom meeting that warned us to "stay away from airplanes and don't go on elevators" on 1/1/2000. We explained to them that we were actual computer engineers, that we understood the "consultants" were hired just to make stockholders think we were prepared, and they should save their BS for the third floor management who actually believe that kind of crap. The meeting ended early and we all left for happy hour.:D

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Not on an airplane but I rode a few elevators. The whole Y2K weekend I was making over $100 an hour babysitting my systems. I slept at our headquarters with 3 other engineers and our weekend consisted of 96 hours of us watching DVD's on the ad-hoc surround sound system we had hooked up in our lab. It was so uneventful, we finally stopped monitoring the computers, because we knew (since we wrote it) the software was 10 ft. tall and bulletproof. One of the most relaxing weekends of my life and I got triple time for it.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

We also tested it, we're cocky, but not stupid. Plus the whole design from the top down did not rely on dates of any form, besides the elapsed days since install. It was designed to withstand Y2K; the "consultants" got management in such a lather they wouldn't listen to us, so I got triple time for 4 days.:D

E

Eric Kahn

most older elevators would not have been any problem, since they have no computers whatsoever controling them, just lots of old clunky relays

and the new ones, although computer controlled, do not know what date it is

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks