What's new

Blu-ray Review Brazil Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

LatheOfHeaven

Auditioning
Real Name
Jaime
DVD Beaver! DOHHHHHH!!!! Geez, I should've thought of that, what a loser! :)
Thanks mate for your most helpful reply; that is precisely what I wanted to know...
________________L@the

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
The suppliments are WORTH it for this film even if you prefer to watch the movie on the Universal BD.
And to Stephen if you feel the Universal cut is too long, check out the Love Conquers All version, it may be what you'd prefer...

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I can't imagine anyone preferring the Love Conquers All version, except, perhaps, the idiots at Universal who edited it in the first place.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
He said he wanted shorter lol.
I think the LCA is fascinating and should be studied in film school editing classes to show how powerfully editing can change a film. Also the commentary is great.
I bought this set on LD for $150 and it was and is worth every penny. I can't believe people are passing this up for TWENTY ONE DOLLARS on Blu Ray at Amazon.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Me too Moe.
Got it from Mark at Digital Eyes i think before web buying.
It may have been $125 on sale.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I had to pre-order it like a month ahead from this little video store and save for 2 months to get it, and it was about a half hour drive to the store.
and when I was your age I had to walk uphill both ways to school in 4 feet of snow...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well Best Buy's loss is Amazon's (and in small part HTF's) gain. Went to local BB to get the Dark Knight Rises steelbook and was going to pick this up as well but no BB within 20 miles of me has a copy (and that's like 12 stores!). So I'm going to use the HTF link and buy from Amazon. :tu:

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
Carlo Medina said:
Well Best Buy's loss is Amazon's (and in small part HTF's) gain. Went to local BB to get the Dark Knight Rises steelbook and was going to pick this up as well but no BB within 20 miles of me has a copy (and that's like 12 stores!). So I'm going to use the HTF link and buy from Amazon. :tu:
I actually got lucky and was surprised that the Best Buy near me actually had this and Rosemary's Baby in stock and at the same price as Amazon. So they didn't totally lose out today.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
rayman1701 said:
I actually got lucky and was surprised that the Best Buy near me actually had this and Rosemary's Baby in stock and at the same price as Amazon. So they didn't totally lose out today.
Amazon is actually the same as BB because they are matching BB.
I ordred this last week from BB.com and it came in today.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
For a lot of folks Amazon is cheaper than BB because they're not paying sales tax on Amazon purchases. Yet. :(

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
From what it looked like on the BB website, no BB stores are carrying Brazil, Purple Noon, Qatsi or Following. Usually they keep up with CC new releases in store

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Lord Dalek said:
Its surround, its just not flagged to switch your pro-logic on automatically.
That was my guess, too. But I just can't understand it.
We have home cinema decoders, usually costing a few hundred pounds/dollars which obviously have to work in real time, as we watch the film. Criterion (or whoever) have multi-thousand dollar (tens of thousands? hundreds of thousands) decoders (dedicated computer programmes?) which can spend a month seperating the channels out from the 2.0 mix, if that were necessary. Why not do that, then place the decoded tracks in to a 5.1 mix, all be it with the rears being mono?
Steve W

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Moe Dickstein said:
Usually they keep up with CC new releases in store
They don't keep up with every new release. I think they used to, as evidenced by the fact that I bought CRUMB there, but now they typically only get the super popular stuff. It sucks, because all Criterion's for a month must come in at the same time and all my local Best Buys typically would put out an entire month's releases on the first Tuesday of the month. So I got a lot of stuff well before street date in the past. But with them not stocking anything anymore, that's gone.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
All of my NYC-area Best Buy stores are stocking BRAZIL. At least, that's what it says on their website when I check availability. I would hate to take a trip down to one only to find out they don't actually have copies in-store. I can save myself the trouble and buy a copy from Amazon but I'm one of those people who need instant gratification whenever I can get it :)
BTW, anyone know how long this Best Buy-Amazon Criterion smackdown is supposed to last? These prices are incredibly cheap. I finally bit the bullet on Godzilla at BB last week. The price rang up $29.99 but I had the skeptical clerk look it up and sure enough it was $17.99. Too good to pass up.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
cineMANIAC said:
All of my NYC-area Best Buy stores are stocking BRAZIL. At least, that's what it says on their website when I check availability. I would hate to take a trip down to one only to find out they don't actually have copies in-store. I can save myself the trouble and buy a copy from Amazon but I'm one of those people who need instant gratification whenever I can get it :)
BTW, anyone know how long this Best Buy-Amazon Criterion smackdown is supposed to last? These prices are incredibly cheap. I finally bit the bullet on Godzilla at BB last week. The price rang up $29.99 but I had the skeptical clerk look it up and sure enough it was $17.99. Too good to pass up.
Why wouldn't you just use pick up in store option from the web site?

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
TonyD said:
Why wouldn't you just use pick up in store option from the web site?
Speaking as someone who used to work there, it's a total crap shoot as to whether your item is waiting for you when you get there. When a new "In Store Pickup" thing is received, an awful-sounding alarm starts going off every few seconds in the warehouse. The only way to get the sound to stop is to say that it's "Picked," which sends you the "Come Get It" e-mail. Most people silence the alarm immediately and then often forget to actually go get the item and put it up at Customer Service.
Additionally, if you're waiting for a new release, you often have to walk right by that section to get to Customer Service, which ultimately makes the process take longer anyway.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I worked there before too.
I never had an in store pickup problem it's always been there after I get the email saying its ready for pickup.
Sure the movie area is to the right and the pick up area is to the left or visa versa and the item is usually in stock anyway, but when someone states they hate to make a trip all the way over there for it to not be in stock, it seems to me the easiest way to get around that is to order on line then use in store pick up.

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
TonyD said:
I worked there before too.
I never had an in store pickup problem it's always been there after I get the email saying its ready for pickup.
Then you worked with better people than I did :) Oh how I HATED coming in at 3:00PM and then spending the next hour getting all the "Pick" requests that the morning crew had been ignoring all day.
The easiest way, by my estimation, is to just call and ask. You worked there, so you know that you can't trust the "Store Availability" feature on the website whatsoever. Additionally, I still say that unless you luck out and get a store with a warehouse staff that cares about... well, anything, you can't trust the "In Store Pickup" thing, either.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Very much dislike the Store Pickup option at my local BB because, in the 9-10 times I've used it in the past, this has been the approximate breakdown of the experience:
2 times a flawless, quick experience
2 times the item isn't there
1 time the item was there but they took forever finding it
4 times only one person was manning the Store Pickup line which had multiple people in it, while 2-3 people were manning the regular customer service line, and even when they were not helping anyone, would not come over to help the Store Pickup line to move people more quickly, resulting in a 10-15 minute wait experience when I should have been in and out of the store in less than 5.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Apparently I'm lucky to have a decent store that I worked in and now shop in.
Although trying to call my store is not much help because they rarely answer the phone. Even if I had to call in it ws a crap shoot hoping someone would answer.
As for store availability on the site, if there are less then three copies of an item it will show on the web site as out of stock.
Either way I have three locations in north De and they all have been fine when I used pick up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks