What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Directors Cinematography Draft (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Yes we are. :)

BTW, Definitely a nice pick on The Scarlet Empress Agee; That was the second pick that I had hoped would go unscathed. Oh well.

- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
My next pick is another film that stars Marlene Dietrich. This film boasts a sensational color palette that varies from lush vivid hues to carefully graduated pastels and features one beautiful shot after another.

The Garden of Allah (1936) (W. Howard Greene)

- Walter.

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
The Garden of Allah is the first masterpiece of three-color cinematography. Since almost everyone thinks of early Technicolor in terms of the iridescent hues of The Wizard of Oz, first-time viewers of TGoA never fail to be shocked at the subtle hues the "primitive" three-strip technology--with its extremely slow ASA rating of 6-15--was able to achieve. In fact, I believe Robert Harris posted some insight regarding the flexibility of three-strip Technicolor's palette in the Software section somewhat recently. Let me see if I can dig it up...

Here it is (although, perhaps more accurately, his words are directed towards trying to debunk the myth that there is any one "Technicolor look", rather than specifically describing the color palette):

I don't know any other way of explaining this, but although we sometimes speak of the (a) Technicolor look, there really is no such thing. There is the dye transfer process and the controlled purity and saturation of color which that process brings with it, but every film or more correctly every type of film is totally different.

Although all three strip Technicolor productions, GWTW, The Wizard of Oz, Drums Along the Mohawk and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon should look no more alike or have no more in common photographically than should Chicago and Road to Perdition. All of these films are designed as distinct entities, and the fact that they may have been photographed in the three strip Technicolor process merely means that they can have a certain look if that is the look desired.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...28#post1423228
(BTW, I believe the great Hal Mohr also had a significant hand in TGoA's beautiful cinematography.)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I scanned the credits on the very nice Anchor Bay DVD of The Garden of Allah and saw no mention of Mohr, so I'm assuming his work was uncredited.

The main credits on the DVD list:

Photography... W. Howard Greene
Designed in Color... Lansing C. Holden
Photographic Advisor... Harold Rosson
Color Supervisor... Natalie Kalmus

It is a strikingly beautiful film, with a number of ravishing 'portrait' type shots of Marlene Dietrich. Agee, you are right on the money when discussing the subtlety of some of the color schemes in this film. Simply gorgeous.

- Walter.

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
Whoops, I meant to say Harold (sometimes credited as "Hal") Rosson, not Hal Mohr.

The Anchor Bay DVD is gorgeous, for a steal of a price, I may add.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Rain is up to start our 12th round of picks.

Then me, Brook, and John.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
And Rain's turn is up - he can make his next pick whenever. :)

I'll take The Long Voyage Home - Gregg Toland

Up next:

Brook
John
Agee

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trackername123
Recent bookmarks