What's new

Christmas movies and TV episodes (1 Viewer)

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I'm looking forward to the new Glen Campbell Christmas DVD this year. To me, the absolute best TV Christmas DVD is the Frank Sinatra/Bing Crosby "Happy Holidays", which was released as a collector's edition with commentary and extras, but the program itself is included as an extra feature on the 2-DVD Bing Crosby "Christmas Specials" set, which has all four of Bing's holiday shows including the "Merrie Olde England" show with David Bowie. I also recommend the Ed Sullivan "A Classic Christmas" DVD, which I have on laserdisc as well. There was a second Ed Sullivan Christmas DVD ("Holiday Greetings") but it has less classic clips and more live performances; it's still good, though. I also love the Dean Martin and Judy Garland DVD's. The Bob Hope, Carol Burnett, Sonny & Cher, and Red Skelton DVD's are good, and I'll close by mentioning the "TV Guide Looks At Christmas" DVD, which is loaded with great TV show clips, and even has bonus interviews. There's just something about a TV Christmas variety show, isn't there?

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Back when I was a kid "Variety Shows' didn't turn me on, but as I've matured I know I missed a lot of good stuff. But I'm sure we all had our childhood "phases', which we later outgrew.

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter
Real Name
Willard
This afternoon I watched 2 Christmas movies:

"Beyond Christmas" AKA "Beyond Tomorrow" (1940)

"Mrs Santa Clause" with Angela Lansbury (1996)

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
cajunhillbilly said:
This afternoon I watched 2 Christmas movies:

"Beyond Christmas" AKA "Beyond Tomorrow" (1940)

"Mrs Santa Clause" with Angela Lansbury (1996)
"Beyond Tomorrow" is kind of nice, don't you think? It's very old fashioned, but those older actors are just terrific, and it's quite touching. I have three different versions on DVD, one from Marengo that has the 1935 "Scrooge" with it and one from St. Clair Vision that has 3 DVD's full of cartoons, TV shows, and movies that are Public Domain, but the best one is retitled "Beyond Christmas" and is from Fox Video. There are colourized and black-and-white versions of the movie and a bunch of terrific vintage Christmas extras on the DVD, and it's always inexpensive. Anyone who likes the movie will be thrilled with the quality of this disc. And I'm hoping to get at least a decent PVR recording this Christmas of "Mrs. Santa Claus" this year, as my old VHS went missing years ago. There's a clip of Angela Lansbury singing the title song on the "TV Guide Looks At Christmas" DVD that makes me wish somebody would put out a DVD.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Blurayfan said:
Always remember I love with you with Stephen Dorff, Patty Duke, Joan Van Ark is one of my favorites of all time.
Boy, was the acting good in that. I remember a buddy of mine getting very emotional telling me about this TV movie he saw years earlier, and because I knew the movie he meant we started talking about it, which is how I found out he and his brother were actually adopted themselves. I bet a DVD would be a very popular item.

Blurayfan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
davidmatychuk said:
Boy, was the acting good in that. I remember a buddy of mine getting very emotional telling me about this TV movie he saw years earlier, and because I knew the movie he meant we started talking about it, which is how I found out he and his brother were actually adopted themselves. I bet a DVD would be a very popular item.
Yes, it is a great movie! I have been looking for it on DVD but no luck. The acting is phenomenal and I tear up every time I see the movie. It hasn't been shown on tv for some years now unfortunately.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
I just found it on YouTube in 7 parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEQJoLyIHCI&list=PLaAJlgFFFz63pS9upnzCQTN8BFznnl4B2

It's better than nothing, but I hope I can PVR it properly some time.

Blurayfan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
davidmatychuk said:
I just found it on YouTube in 7 parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEQJoLyIHCI&list=PLaAJlgFFFz63pS9upnzCQTN8BFznnl4B2

It's better than nothing, but I hope I can PVR it properly some time.
I'm going to watch this on Thanksgiving and Christmas…btw…I know its available on VHS…but eh…it needs to be on dvd…..

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
AndrewCrossett said:
This Christmas season I'm seriously considering immersing myself in those comfortably corny Christmas variety specials from the 60's and 70's. I know Crosby, Como, Martin and Williams are all available on DVD without too many edits. Trying to think what other ones would be worth getting.
Others that I've enjoyed include:

Danny Kaye (top notch)

Tom Jones (very "groovy" Christmas--This song isn't too Christmassy but check out Judy Collins's incredible vocal on Chelsea Morning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFlv_CKIE9w)

Sonny and Cher (the first Christmas show is especially good)

Lawrence Welk (the old B&W ones are very good despite the poor picture)

AndrewCrossett

Second Unit
I always liked Danny Kaye. In fact, according to my mother I was named after one of his movies that she saw on TV while pregnant with me. ("Merry Andrew")

Amazon says it's "temporarily out of stock." But hey... Danny Kaye with Nat King Cole and Peggy Lee. Gonna have to get that one.

Anybody have the Carol Burnett Christmas DVD? Is it worth while?

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
AndrewCrossett said:
Anybody have the Carol Burnett Christmas DVD? Is it worth while?
I've heard that the Christmas with Carol DVD that is really from the old Gary Moore Show is better than the Christmas DVD of the Carol Burnett Show. I plan to watch it this year.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
JoeDoakes said:
I've heard that the Christmas with Carol DVD that is really from the old Gary Moore Show is better than the Christmas DVD of the Carol Burnett Show. I plan to watch it this year.

The Gary Moore show is a lot of fun IMO. Julie Andrews sings My Favorite Things long before the SOM movie and Julie, Carol and Gwen Verdon do this rollicking version of Ev'rybody's Doin' It Now in a gymnasium setting to promote President Kennedy's mandate about Americans getting more exercise. They are all so young and vital. It's a delight and a generous amount of material..

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
KPmusmag said:
The Gary Moore show is a lot of fun IMO. Julie Andrews sings My Favorite Things long before the SOM movie and Julie, Carol and Gwen Verdon do this rollicking version of Ev'rybody's Doin' It Now in a gymnasium setting to promote President Kennedy's mandate about Americans getting more exercise. They are all so young and vital. It's a delight and a generous amount of material..
Looking to find one now! I remember the Garry Moore Show (somehow "with Durward Kirby" automatically springs to mind) very well, and Carol Burnett sure caught everyone's attention there.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I picked up an Echo Bridge "Shovelware" DVD with 19 christmas themed movies for $5.00 at Uncle Wally's. Most will likely be "One shot wonders" but there usually a gem or two in these sets. :thumbs-up-smiley:

AndrewCrossett

Second Unit
Still stubbornly waiting for Thanksgiving before getting into Christmas mode. Which isn't hard, since it's been short-sleeve weather around here. (I think I've probably seen my last white Christmas other than on video.)

But, the Bing Crosby Christmas specials are on their way to me right now!

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
I guess I will confess my odd Christmas habits. Here we go:
Week One (Fri. After Thanksgiving-Thurs) All black and white features.
Week 2: Fri. White Christmas
Mon. Start TV specials
Week 3: Start Ultimate TV Specials like Rudolph

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks