What's new

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - New release when????! (1 Viewer)

Alex Yang

Stunt Coordinator
Does anybody remember the MGM studio chat we had here a couple of months ago??? I seem to recall that a NEW version of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang with Wide Screen was in the works... But Studio Day at Dave's in CA has come and gone and NEW titles and re-issues were announced but alas NOTHING. NOT a word was mentioned about the famous, fabously flying car...
http://www.thedigitalbits.com Call Fox and Sculley and get them to investigate, maybe, just maybe we can get FOX to miraculously release this movie instead of MGM... :)
-Alex

RogerB

Second Unit
From the chat transcript:
Hi MGM, glad you could come! Why is MGM still releasing Pan and Scan
movies, even of family films. It's silly, especially when it's possible to put P&S on a disc with
Anamorphic Widescreen in the Original Aspect Ratio? Examples: Secret of NIMH, Secret of NIMH 2,
and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. I would love to buy those movies, but have absolutely no interest
if it's not OAR and anamorphic. Thanks.
With regard to family films, we made the decision to release full frame versions as
these are most appealing to the family/kid-friendly consumer. We are reconsidering some
of our previous releases for a new disc, including supplemental materials.
I'd like to see this title, too.
------------------
Link Removed

Alex Yang

Stunt Coordinator
Roger,
There is another part of the MGM chat that stated Chitty Chiity bang bang to be re-released last quarter of 2001...
frown.gif

The blurb you reprinted just now, I remmember well also as it got my blood boiling...
frown.gif

-Alex

RogerB

Second Unit
Oh, you mean THIS question from Alex Yang?
Alex_Yang: MGM Thanks for coming to the chat tonight. My apologies if this question
has already been asked...Will you be planning on re-releasing Chitty Chitty Bang Bang as
a special release, with Anamorphic transfer soon? I'm a huge fan of this movie and
would LOVE to see this get the treatment it so RICHLY deserves as one of my childhood classics...
MGM: Yes, we are looking at this title for the future (2002).
------------------
Link Removed

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Asked about this title at Dave's Studio Day and was told - a widescreen version was unlikely, but on the bright side it would probably come out before the restored version of "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World". Others tried to tell the MGM reps this movie appeals to adults too. I was told THX did a widescreen tranfer at the time the Pan & Scan version came out, but MGM didn't use it.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Just to give MGM more credit than they deserve,
The movie requires 2 layers, and so would have necessitated a DVD-18 for both versions to be presented.
Naturally, they should have at least released a separate collectors-oriented SE version in 16x9 WS.
yes, they have a THX certified (whatever that means...look at Phantom Menace) 16x9 maseter just waiting.
-dave

RogerB

Second Unit
Ouch! I did not need to hear that a widescreen version was "almost" released.
Come on MGM, out with it!
------------------
Link Removed

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I love it when the studios assume a film
that is more than 20 years old doesn't have
appeal more to mature audiences that want the
film OAR.
I grew up on this film, but...
no OAR = No purchase.
-Mark
[Edited last by Mark Walker on October 25, 2001 at 08:51 PM]

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I have a dwindling supply of laser discs as I replace them with dvds. My non-cgi'd E.T. will never get lonely as long as it has the widescreen Chitty Chitty Bang Bang to keep it company.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks