Chevy DVD Movie Van - question on DVD recording

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick Pudar, Aug 25, 2001.

1. Nick Pudar

Nick Pudar Agent

My family has a 2000 Chevy Venture Warner Brothers Edition minivan and we absolutely love it! It has completely changed the nature of our trips. I have recorded many shows from DirecTV and we watch the VHS tapes on our trips.
    Now, Chevy has announced the 2002 version with a built-in DVD player and widescreen flipdown monitor. (It will also play DVD-audio.) We are definitely buying the new van this fall. My dilema: I can't see myself turning over to the family all the pristene DVD collection of family movies -- they will get abused and scratched up. So I'd like to figure out how to record onto DVD-R(W?)'s more material from DirecTV. Is it possible? What do I need to do it in terms of hardware and software.
    In NO WAY do I want to do anything illegal. Any ideas to point me in the right direction?
    Thanks
    Nick Pudar
    nick@pudar.net

2. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

Since the DVD player included is probably a Panasonic, then I would assume that it plays VCDs (and CD-Rs). Therefore, I think a more affordable solution for your needs would be to buy a VCD Recorder such as the Terapin . It uses standard CD-R/CD-RW discs - much cheaper than DVD-R discs.