What's new

Pre-Order Cheers: The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

avenging

Auditioning
Real Name
Miles
Given this release along with Hogans Heroes, I just wonder if a Perry Mason on blu-ray
could be coming along as well ?

mark27b

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pledger
That's the way it should be-- don't bill every single one of your cast members in every single episode's opening titles if certain of your cast members are not going to appear in some of the episodes (that would be like saying that a certain star would be in a certain film from X studio, and then when people go to see the film, that star never shows up).
The Fugitive did that every week with Barry Morse / Lt. Gerard regardless of whether he was in the episode or not.

It did heighten the tension as you didn't know if he would or not, kept the pressure on the viewer and didn't turn off if he wasn't listed in the cast appearing that week turning off eg a ST:TNG episode if Riker doesn't have a beard and Dr Pulaski is in the opening credits.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I Love Lucy and The Fugitive seem like obvious candidates if they continue.
I'd be a bit cautious if they released The Fugitive simply because they just don't have a good track record with that one. They even messed up the initial release of the "condensed" edition and replaced it with a copy of "The Most Wanted" edition which *also* needed disc replacements to be a corrected set (I know - I purchased that new one and went through a quite laborious process to finally get a corrected "The Most Wanted" as a replacement).

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I'd guess that the chapter stops (and everything else) will mirror the DVDs.
What I don't understand Is why The Coach's Daughter Is on the DVDs as the second episode when it was neither second in production or NBC airing. Indeed, the second episode aired and in production, Sam's Women showed Diane nervous about being a waitress in the teaser - a follow up to the end of the pilot--why put another episode between them? (And yes, I know The Coach's Daughter was the episode NBC aired as a tribute to Nicholas Colasanto after he died, but don't know what difference that makes.)

Last edited:

Faber

Agent
Real Name
Josh
Hopefully, Best Buy will have a pre-order for this soon. It's great that there's a pre-order, but in my experience, Amazon's shipping leaves a lot to be desired. Specifically, their packaging; they put your stuff in boxes that are much too big without any packing material of any kind.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully, Best Buy will have a pre-order for this soon. It's great that there's a pre-order, but in my experience, Amazon's shipping leaves a lot to be desired. Specifically, their packaging; they put your stuff in boxes that are much too big without any packing material of any kind.
I'm happy when I get a box. Pretty much any single item I've ordered for years now, I've received in a padded envelope.

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
I'm happy when I get a box. Pretty much any single item I've ordered for years now, I've received in a padded envelope.

You get padding? You're so lucky :biggrin: The last year or so all I've been getting from Amazon is cardboard envelopes without any padding whatsoever resulting in some big time refunds on their part when my box sets/DVD cases come in damaged or torn....

Faber

Agent
Real Name
Josh
As strange as this seems, I think that might actually be better. At least there isn't a ton of empty space for the set to bump around.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Paramount just made the shit list... or, to be kind about it, the "don't pre-order anything from them until someone verifies they didn't screw it up" list. But that's kind of wordy.

So, from early reviews and spot checks, it appears that the streaming versions with music restored for streaming didn't make it to disc, but the streaming versions that cut music that was on DVD did, giving us the worst of both worlds. So, What'll I Do got hacked out of the end of season 5, while it was present on DVD.

Bravo, Paramount.

Unless you really care about having the ultimate in PQ, this set looks to be one to give a miss. You already have equal or better on the DVDs if you own them.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Paramount just made the shit list... or, to be kind about it, the "don't pre-order anything from them until someone verifies they didn't screw it up" list. But that's kind of wordy.

So, from early reviews and spot checks, it appears that the streaming versions with music restored for streaming didn't make it to disc, but the streaming versions that cut music that was on DVD did, giving us the worst of both worlds. So, What'll I Do got hacked out of the end of season 5, while it was present on DVD.

Bravo, Paramount.

Unless you really care about having the ultimate in PQ, this set looks to be one to give a miss. You already have equal or better on the DVDs if you own them.
The one huge music cue that they likely didn’t correct from the DVD release is the episode Grease, from season 9. I Fought The Law was the original bit of music that enhanced a joke, what was put on the DVD made zero sense, and ruined the joke.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

Bravo, Paramount.

Why would the Blus be worse music-wise than the streaming shows?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Why would the Blus be worse music-wise than the streaming shows?
Because proper PQ wasn't performed. It's the same old song and dance we've seen with dozens of releases over the years. People who are unfamiliar with a product do "PQ" and don't know when something's not right with episode content (missing scene, wrong music, etc.). All they're looking for is "video and audio with no noticeable issues" - nothing else.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You'd have figured that when rights were negotiated for DVD, that included future releases. But since it was changed for streaming, apparently not.

And whoever negotiated for streaming didn't include disc releases.

Or, as BobO said, the intern who checked this stuff didn't know or care.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
At the very least, I hope they fixed the issue with a show at the end of season 2- on the DVD, the picture and audio was sped up, and looked to be missing frames for about 10-15 seconds.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
You'd have figured that when rights were negotiated for DVD, that included future releases. But since it was changed for streaming, apparently not.

And whoever negotiated for streaming didn't include disc releases.

Or, as BobO said, the intern who checked this stuff didn't know or care.

Subscription streaming rights are considered equivalent to broadcast, which means that if the show originally licensed the rights for those songs for broadcast only, that is now considered to cover streaming - no additional licensing required.

However, if those songs were licensed for broadcast only and not all media - and frankly, there’s no reason anyone would have thought to in an era when physical media meant VHS tapes and people didn’t buy entire seasons of shows - then those songs may not be cleared for home video platforms like DVD and Blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks