What's new

Checking used DVDs... (1 Viewer)

EricW

Senior HTF Member
usually used DVDs have a 30 day return policy, but alot of times you don't have the time to watch the disc after you buy it and it just sits on the shelf. i was wondering if it was a good idea to just pop the disc in and play the whole disc in FF mode.
1) is this a reasonably good way to find if any scratches actually impede the play?
2) is this bad for the DVD player?

thanks

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
FF mode might occasionally pass over some defect that normal play would lock or skip on. I generally do not buy used discs that look like children or sloppy adults have used them, if only because they cannot be re-sold (on eBay, say) if I decide to give them up later. The used discs I buy are titles that don't rent much, or titles for which a store has zillions of copies (and I'll go through them all until I find a good one), or I buy them on eBay (contrary to other peoples' experiences, I have had good luck on eBay getting discs in described conditions). If you don't mind scratch marks on the disc surface, my suggestion is to always take the time to play it back within the guarantee period at normal speed, including all extras.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I check every used DVD I buy for scratches in the car before I leave (one of the used shops around here throws a fit if you try to check them before you leave, and refuses to let you check them before you pay). When I get home, I put it in and make sure it plays. I'll check all the special features and a few chapters of the movie. I then make a point of watching it within the next couple days so it can be returned if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks