What's new

Cheap Receiver (1 Viewer)

Nick_Pop

Auditioning
Basically, i want a very inexpensive, yet decent, 5.1 receiver that can deliver DTS. i'm not really interested in crystal clear movie theater sound, just something with true DTS.

thanks

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
If you want the most bang for your buck, look at used stuff. If all you want is DTS 5.1 and don't have to worry about EX/ES or PLII or any of the other DSP bells and whistles you should be able to do very well here or on Ebay.

Nick_Pop

Auditioning
^^^ so, do u have any particular recievers in mind? i supposed PLII would be nice.

thanks again

FeisalK

Screenwriter
oh i dunno.. Shane pointed the way earlier. I'd also look at auctions or audiogon - I've seen some Panasonic XR25's go for under $100

definitely PLII is a must-have (and would be available by default on all receivers made after 2002 i think)

Nick_Pop

Auditioning
do most recievers also come w/ digital inputs? i have one right now w/ coaxial, but digital would be nice.

FeisalK

Screenwriter
coaxial is digital. most receivers now come with more than a few digital inputs most of which are TOSlink (optical) and maybe one or two coaxial

Nick_Pop

Auditioning
i'm sorry, i mean't optical. i pretty new to all this stuff. i have another question then. i have this pro logic 5.1 reciever, but all it has on the back are your standard red/white audio cables. how can i get 5.1 without any digital inputs?

EDIT: also, there isn't even a connection for a subwoofer. ???

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't think there is such a thing. It sounds like it is just a regular pro-logic receiver.

I would probably look into Pioneer. You can find several models new which will fit your needs. You should see that it has both optical and coax inputs and that they are assignable to any of the video inputs, just for the best flexibility. Pioneer sells so many cheap receivers, you really get a lot for your money through the economy of volume production.

Nick_Pop

Auditioning
alright, i worded it wrong. it says 5.1 on the manual, yet there's no place to attach a subwoofer. it is also pro logic.

i'll give pioneer a look.

Check overstock.com. I got a refurb Yamaha for $230, the HTR 5860, retailed for quite a bit higher, 7.1, Dolby Dig, DTS, EX/ES. I've found it to be a great entry level home theater receiver. I was taking a chance, as they aren't an authorized re-seller, but I had a 60 day warrantee. For me, the price was worth the gamble. For others, maybe not, but it's exactly what I need, I don't have a dedicated theater room (YET!!!), so for my living room "theater", it's ideal, and economical. They probably have others besides the Yamaha, too.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I'd recommend a new Sherwood as a cheap brand for 5.1 offerings. There are a lot more options if you intend to go used.

About your current AVR, does it have an area that states 5.1 inputs? If it does then all you'll need is a dvd player with a decoder built-in (hard to find and may not save money in the long run).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks