1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Charley Chase Vol. One 1930 - 1931

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Brent S, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Brent S

Brent S Second Unit

Brent Seguine
    From VCI Entertainment and Kit Parker, "Charley Chase: The Hal Roach Talkies Vol. One, 1930 - 1931" is coming on November 7. A press release is still pending, but preliminary information indicates that VCI is presenting restorations from the best available Roach elements.

No pre-orders yet, but Amazon added a "placeholder" page yesterday. (It is 2 discs, not 1 as currently listed by Amazon.)

Attached Files:

2. rmw650

rmw650 Stunt Coordinator

Richard W
    Wasn't there a few volume series of Chase's shorts released on DVD a few years ago?

3. rmw650

rmw650 Stunt Coordinator

Richard W
  4. rdf8585

rdf8585 Stunt Coordinator

rdf8585
  5. rmw650

rmw650 Stunt Coordinator

Richard W
    Oohh, OK. I realized my error later on as i got the HR and Columbia shorts mixed up so my apologies for this, but for the guy that is making these new DVDs of his shorts available (Richard Roberts), maybe just a suggestion to him that he needs to tone his attitude down some or he'll get no sales for his set whatsoever but understanding why he might be pissed due to the "speculation" as he says...http://www.silentcomedymafia.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1980&fref=gc

Rodney likes this.
  6. Dave Lawrence

Dave Lawrence Supporting Actor

Dave
    Kino released a DVD of Chase's Roach-era shorts in 2004.

[​IMG]

7. Paul Penna

Paul Penna Supporting Actor

Paul
    Those are silents made between 1924-1926.

8. Dave Lawrence

Dave Lawrence Supporting Actor

Dave
    Ah, okay. I don't have the disc and wasn't aware of the specific content. Just remembered that there had been some Roach Chase shorts released. Thanks for the info, Paul.

9. rmw650

rmw650 Stunt Coordinator

Richard W
    Dave, i know about those silent ones as I was inquiring about the sound shorts but now i got this all straightened and figured out.

10. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Wow! Richard Roberts comes across like a complete jerk in those posts. Whatever good points he has, and he does have them, is còmpletely overshadowed by his rudeness.

Rodney and Jack K like this.
  11. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Yes, YES, very happy VCI is opening up those Hal Roach vaults. Perhaps this will lead to other Roach talkies being released, besides Laurel & Hardy and Our Gang? I certainly hope so

12. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Actually, Richard Roberts states in one of his posts that the Charley Chase DVD set is being released by Sprocket Vault, not VCI. That was a placeholder error, apparently.

The release of more Hal Roach talkies series would be fantastic! We'll just have to wait and see.

CHEERS! :)

Jack K and JoHud like this.
  13. rmw650

rmw650 Stunt Coordinator

Richard W
    Steve, I agree and if this guy expects his sets to sell, he truly needs to tone his attitude down some as I understand he was pissed with the leaked out info, but he of all people should know in today's social media world, nothing seems to be secret or private anymore when it comes to releasing volatile and confidential info on something as it will eventually leak out someway and somehow, and he should know better as that kind of pissy attitude on his end won't get him the sales he so covets, which in turn, hurts the fans who really and truly want these sets. He should offer an apology for his actions.

Steve...O and Jack K like this.
  14. rmw650

rmw650 Stunt Coordinator

Richard W
    Tony, totally agree with your last statement but he comes off as a very standoffish type of person as if he's doing us a favor by him doing this. We're grateful the talkies are coming out but no need for the extra curricular attitude he displays in his original posting as that would put a lot of potential customers off when it comes time for them to order his sets.

Tony Bensley, Jack K and Steve...O like this.
  15. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    While I agree that the attitude is probably more harmful than helpful, in the end it is just internet drama.

The fact is, this set needs to be supported if we want other shorts to come out, this has to be supported. I never thought an official Hal Roach set would EVER come out, so I'm snapping this up the first chance I get. I'm consciously supporting Charley and the Roach comedies on quality releases, rather than whatshisname

Now if this set turns out to be sloppily done, well then that's a whole 'nother story

Jack K likes this.
  16. cadavra

cadavra Stunt Coordinator

mike schlesinger
    Sprocket Vault and VCI are partnered.

Mike S.

RBailey likes this.
  17. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    It's nice to see these coming out - perhaps we'll get more Hal Roach shorts - I'd like to see an The Thelma Todd/Patsy Kelly/ZaZu Pits shorts myself. TCM has run a few over the years.

The fun part of the various HR Shorts is sometimes the odd Our Gang/Little Rascals cast member or two turn up in supporting roles!

Jack K, Steve...O and Tony Bensley like this.
  18. Paul Penna

Paul Penna Supporting Actor

Paul
    Today on Nitrateville Mike Gebert said:

"Well, the story (from the Director of Marketing for the set) is that an Amazon listing just appeared and they're trying to get it pulled down. The number of discs is unknown, the November release date is apparently not to be trusted, either."

https://nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24666&p=191695#p191680

19. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Update on the set:

http://www.silentcomedymafia.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1982

TLDR: Wait for the official Amazon link to pre-order, which is forthcoming in the near future from the official Sprocket Vault Amazon account.

This listing will contain all of the official details about the Charley set

The "placeholder link on the OP message is unauthorized and there is no guarantee that consumers would even get the set preordering from that link

20. rdf8585

rdf8585 Stunt Coordinator

rdf8585
    This set is officially official, and ready to order for real now.

https://www.amazon.com/Charley-Chase-Ro ... he+talkies

For Immediate Release

A NEW COLLECTION OF CHARLEY CHASE SHORTS IS NOW AVAILABLE FOR THE FIRST TIME ON DVD

Volume One Contains 18 Rare Talking Comedy Shorts From The Golden Age of Hollywood

(Phoenix, AZ) The Sprocket Vault announces its latest DVD release: CHARLEY CHASE AT HAL ROACH: THE TALKIES VOLUME ONE: 1930-31, the first in a series and available exclusively on Amazon. These 18 comedy shorts on a 2-DVD set showcases this great but somewhat neglected comedian during some of his prime film days.

From 1924-1936, Charley Chase made hilarious short comedies for the Hal Roach Studios. He was one of their most popular comedy stars in both the silent and sound eras. His talkie shorts for Hal Roach have never been collected into a comprehensive collection before, and now THE SPROCKET VAULT brings them to the public in a planned multi-volume collection designed to reacquaint comedy fans to his wonderful short films.

Charley Chase was considered the leading man of comedians, a handsome, talented performer with strong comedy credentials on both sides of the camera. He became Hal Roach's number two star in terms of box office, second only to Laurel and Hardy during his stay at Roach. Chase utilized a style that incorporated classic visual comedy blended with more situational and screwball elements, his sound comedies also highlight his musical abilities. Chase was an accomplished singer and dancer as well.

The films in this 1930-31 collection are also complimented by the presence of Charley Chase's then-frequent leading lady, the lovely and vivacious Thelma Todd. She was a beautiful and statuesque blonde with great timing and comedy talent, whose work with Charley Chase and other comedians propelled her to stardom in her own Hal Roach comedy series. Her career as a lead comedienne was tragically cut short by her early death in 1935 at the age of 29.

The Sprocket Vault's new Charley Chase collection utilizes original Hal Roach Studio print materials for its digital masters, and each short on this collection is accompanied by a commentary track from noted film historian and Hal Roach authority Richard M. Roberts, who shines new light on the "Lot of Fun" and the people involved in making these classic comedies in an informative, clever, and entertaining manner.

CHARLEY CHASE AT HAL ROACH: THE TALKIES VOLUME ONE: 1930-31 contains -The Shorts - 1930: The Real McCoy, Whispering Whoopee, All Teed Up, Fifty Million Husbands, Fast Work, Girl Shock, Dollar Dizzy, Looser Than Loose, High C's

The Shorts - 1931: Thundering Tenors, The Pip from Pittsburg, Rough Seas, One of the Smiths, The Panic Is On, Skip the Maloo! What a Bozo! The Hasty Marriage

Extra: La Senorita De Chicago (1931) (Spanish-language version of THE PIP FROM PITTSBURG)

DVD BASICS

Retail: $34.99

Amazon Price: $24.93

Language: English

Running Time: 413 minutes

Color: Black & White

Year: 1930 & 31

Rating: Not Rated

Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1 - 4X3

Available Now!

The Sprocket Vault DVDs are sold exclusively through Amazon.

www.sprocketvault.com

Social Media links:

Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/Film_Buff/
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sprocketvault/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sprocketvault/