What's new

Ceiling Tiles ? (1 Viewer)

DougRuss

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone had any success painting "Acoustic Ceiling tiles? I wan't to darken the Theater room a bit and want to paint the tiles black or a dark grey. What is the best way,spray, roller,or brush ?
I tried spraying a cut-off section of the tile I'm using, and it just looks real blotchy
frown.gif

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank You,
Doug Russell

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I'd think the first thing you'd have to do is find a way of sealing the tiles first.
Ceiling tiles are so dusty that it would be very difficult to get paint to stick to them out of the package. That's the reason the paint is splotchy looking when you tested it.
The paint sticks to the dust and the dust falls off and the finish is uneven.

Brett Robert

Agent
Just remeber if you paint them there acustic properties change. I am not sure how much but it is going to change.

DougRuss

Stunt Coordinator
Howard_A,
Do you have a Website of vendors that handle the Colored Tiles?
Mike LS....I'm using the Fiberglass type. I wiped down the surface before spraying, but maybe it's just the paint that I'm using?
Looks like I'll just keep the white tiles up for now !
Thanks everyone!!

BarryT

Auditioning
I'm considering doing the same. Here is the advice I got. First vacuum the tiles then apply a textured ceiling paint using a slit foam roller. If you are going to a darker color (grey or black) you will need two or even three coats. Hope this helps

Brett Loomis

Stunt Coordinator
All-- I just went through the search for painted ceiling tiles and found that USG has black, gray, sand, taupe, etc. etc......The same USG that makes the drywall/sheetrock I think. I would try USG.COM not sure if this is right though.
Good luck
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks