What's new

cd source (1 Viewer)

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
I'm sure most people want to use the DAC's in their CD player as opposed to the DAC's in their receiver. I used an optical connection for my cd player because I used my receiver's Dolby Pro Logic II settings for music. It's really a personal preference choice.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Allen hits on the right point, whichever component has the better DACs will tend to sound better, so you will have to try it both ways. My 222ES has had better DACs than all of my receivers up until my current one (Marantz 8300), so I now use coaxial digital for redbook. It really depends on what level of gear we are talking about. When you get into nicer CD players such as Arcam, Cambridge Audio, Rotel etc... or even something like Creek, I don't think you will find too many receivers with better DACs.

It doesn't matter whether you use analog or digital in this case, you can still apply DSPs to the signal.

NickGL

Agent
i've always used coax and optical for CD and DVD players, i was under the impression that the DACs in most mainstream optical sources were subpar to my pioneer elite's burr-browns

i've never thought of better DACs in the source gear- question: will my Yamaha midrange DVD player or my reciever (i'm getting a Marantz SR5400 next week to replace the dead pioneer) have better DACS?

another benefit to digital is the cable expense can drop drastically

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Mainstream is the key word there I believe. At some point with sources, you will simply not find DACs that good in any receiver (obviously with something like Creek, where you are talking about ~$2K or more source). Just becuase your receiver has Burr-Brown DACs does not automatically mean they sound better than good DACs in a quality CD player. My Denon 2200 uses Burr-Brown DACs too, but my receiver's DACs still sound better, as do my 222's.

IMO, in your case, the 5400 may still have better DACs than the Yammie.

Dan_Shore

Auditioning
This is always an ongoing debate in the audio world. Most will tell you that co-ax will sound better than fiber. But there are those that state that a glass fiber will sound as good as a co-ax and better than the plastic fiber. Personally with my audio system, my co-ax sounds much better than either glass or plastic fiber.

Later...Dan

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Nick, just to add my input, as I use a marantz 5300 with an NAD 521i CD player, I actually prefer the marantz DACs. This surprised me. Sometimes I go back and forth, because the marantz dacs seem a little more laid back, but much better spacially deep, and sounds more detailed. I use dynaudio audience 52SE as mains. Not sure what kind of innards the 5400 is using, I expect it similar or better than the 5300, but I really like the quality of the dacs in mine. enjoy! :emoji_thumbsup:

NickGL

Agent
Thanks for the info Chris!

i'm very glad to hear that because the only cables i let myself use for high quality analog are some Straight Wire i got from my uncle, but they're only 1/2 meter and i'd rather not put a DVD player on top of the reciever

i suppose i could buy new wire, but.... well, i'm a student and would rather use my existing hand me downs if possible, heh

bernard&*

Stunt Coordinator
Is there any one here using analog rather than digital or coax.My receiver(tx-sr601) is almost 6 month old and im using analog input for cd (i dont have coax. too expensive) but lately i forgot to swicth on to cd input and im amazed! its sound crispy and clearer.and i found out its using an optical input.but as i read from the manual they only prefered analog and coax. input for cd and optical for dvd.why?

Dan_Shore

Auditioning
What is recommended is fine. What sounds good to you is what really matters. If it sounds good to you, and you cannot afford to try out a Co-Ax, don't worry about it.

If you lived close to me I would give you one of my old co-ax cables I have laying around.

And to answer your original question, which someone flamed me on. There is no problem with using Fiber, Co-Ax, or Analog for CD Player input. What ever sounds best to you in your price range.

Later...Dan

Howard_You

Stunt Coordinator

John, although this is true, for an analog input signal wouldn't the receiver have to convert it to digital, apply the DSP, and then convert it back to analog with it's DACs? I'm guessing this wouldn't sound as good as if the original source was digital, or does it really make much difference?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Yep, that's how DSP works. The exception would be in analog direct or via pre-amp inputs. DSPs and tone controls will normally be disabled in analog direct, and many receivers do not allow the signal on the preamp inputs to be processed for exactly the reason you mention. For redbook CDs, I doubt this will make a significant difference, while for SACD/DVD-A, I would definitely call it a drawback. The point being, not that one is better or worse than the other (which really depends on the gear in question), but that DSP can still be applied in either of these cases.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
sorry, didn't mean to scorch ya. i was just making sure everyone in the thread realized that his REAL question was whether he should use a digi connection (be that optical OR coax) or an analog connection. he's not really asking about optical versus coax.

NickGL

Agent
i always listen to stereo music in direct mode, even for redbook CDs and well- encoded music files from my computer i can hear muddledness and generally less clear sound if i go to 'stereo' mode on the analog inputs, and i can even hear a difference on the digital inputs

Joshua H

Stunt Coordinator

Can someone please explain to me how co-ax can possibly sound better than optical for passing a digital signal to the receiver's DACs? I understand perhaps a preference for the durability of coax, but are people trying to tell me that the 10001010110101 put into either cable at one end will come out differently depending on the medium? Does a coax cable magically add "warmer" 1s and 0s to the mix? I really can't understand this.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Ive tried both ways and couldn't tell any difference. It seems though, that most mfg's rec-o-mend Coax. If in doubt go with coax.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Do a search, already been covered to death and then some. Let's not turn this thread into another debate that will never end.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks