What's new

Carpeting the ceiling? (1 Viewer)

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Last month's Audio Video Interiors featured a theater where the ceiling was carpeted. It would seem to be a good idea as it absorbs sound on a parallel reflective surface (light too). Not wanting a room to be too dead I'm wondering how effective this would actually be. Does anyone here have experience with this?
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

DarrinH

Second Unit
I have carpet on the walls in my theater room. I can say the room is pretty dead. I placed four movie posters in frames on the walls to help work against it. I am glad I did it even though my sound system currently sucks. I hope to begin the upgrade on it this fall.
For my ceiling I have a drop ceiling with an air space and insulation above it. Other than the base being transmitted to the room above the rest of the sound is pretty much isolated to my theater. The carpet I used was a commercial grade carpet (low pile). I wanted something with some thickness to it to hide my mistakes building the walls. Overall I am pleased with the way it turned out. I can definitely tell similarities between my room and an actual theater WRT sound movement. I recommend it if you can afford it.
Hope to have pics up soon!
By the way, how big should the picks be (in file size) when I send them to Packy?
------------------
The EC
The Entertainment Cave
"People that talk in metaphors oughta shampoo my crotch"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks