What's new

car subs vs. HT subs (1 Viewer)

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Hi all. I want to know what your opinion is about the following plan I have. Instead of buying a powered subwoofer for my home theater, I want to use 12" car speakers instead and power them with a stereo receiver.
I would take the sub pre-out of my 5.1 receiver into the left AUX input of a stereo receiver and then use speaker wire to connect two or more 12" car woofers. I also would like to build a box to stick the two speakers in, or buy a box.
Assuming the resistance of the speakers match the outputs of the stereo receiver, is there any fault to this plan? Obviously this isn't the most ideal or easy way of doing things, but I just want to know if there is any objective criticism you can offer me as to why any of this doesn't present itself to be a good idea.
thanks in advance!

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Depends on the specs of the drivers and how well that matches with the enclosure (size, sealed, ported, passive radiators, bandpass) you plan on putting them in. You might want to repost this in the DIY area of the forum or ask the admins to move it there.
Without that info no way to tell if you'll have tight articulate bass that will kick ass or boomy bloated bass that will make you gringe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks