What's new

car sub vs. shiva? (1 Viewer)

I don't really know where to put this post but this area seems to be the most appropriate.
My friend wants to get a subwoofer for his car. The car sub is a JBL loud+clear lcs1200w. selling online for $70, he likes it. I have tried to get him to buy a shiva (i just finished mine for home stereo, and man its a killer), but he thinks the shiva is "ugly" and that the JBL is "cool looking". I have tried explaining x-max to him, and the benefits of buying a quality ht sub from a reputable company, than buying mass produced, "el cheapo" crap from a questionable online retailer. He thinks this JBL will preform as good or better than the shiva, and has fallen for the marketing paragraph that the online retailers print. JBL doesn't even post the drivers x-max (probably pretty low), and the frequency response is only down to 30hz. My question is this: how do I get him make the better choice? he is very new to audio (as am i), but i want him to get the most bang for the buck. budget is a loose $100.
Thank you, this is such a great forum!
[Edited last by Brian Womble on September 18, 2001 at 04:18 PM]

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
Can a home audio sub even be used in a car audio application? I think that the power levels are completely different and power from a car audio amp is definitely not as clean as power from a home amp.

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
The shiva is used in several stellar car audio installations. All of which are hitting harder than any jbl install. Check on Termpro for some prime examples. One 12" shiva in a mitsubishi eclipse at Texas heatwave hit a 144.3. That is awesome for a "home audio" sub. Technically this sub is great for both applications.

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
The shiva is used in several stellar car audio installations. All of which are hitting harder than any jbl install. Check on Termpro for some prime examples. One 12" shiva in a mitsubishi eclipse at Texas heatwave hit a 144.3. That is awesome for a "home audio" sub. Technically this sub is great for both applications. Great SQ and SPL.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
If you want to talk to someone who can tell you all about Shiva in a car app (besides DanW. :)), get in touch with Kirk at Link Removed

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I have a Shiva sonosub in my Jetta's trunk,yeah you need space for that sucker.It's very good!
It being driven by a Crunch Drive series amp with 350w@4ohms.
It's a sealed tube[2.2cft],built by my friend Terry C[a member here].
------------------
"You Hungarians always disagree"
[Edited last by Lewis Besze on September 18, 2001 at 10:15 PM]

Peter Jessee

Stunt Coordinator
You might also suggest the Parts Express 12" DVC woofer to your friend. It's very similar to the Shiva, and almost the same price, but trades a smaller cabinet size requirement for a few Hz of bass extension. A 1 to 1.2 cu ft box works very well with the DVC, where you need about 2 cu ft to get a Shiva sounding it's best in a car. The Shiva will go a little deeper, but the DVC 12 will still pound a typical $80 car sub to rubble.
I own an Adire Rava HT sub (2.2 cu ft box with a Shiva and 250 watt amp) that I love, but for a cramped car environment, the DVC has an obvious advantage.
Peter

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Peter's recommendation is excellent, and his point about the trade-offs is spot-on.
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

I will check out the Dayton woofer. I dont know how big his box is gonna be, but the dayton sure sounds like the better choice for a cramped car. Thank you everyone, but how do I convince him to make the correct choice?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks