What's new

Car Repair Question, Need Advice (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Have a 1998 Chevy Monte Carlo Z-34, 55K miles. Never had any problems with it other than some minor warranty/recall stuff when it was very new.

Driving home from work, halfway into a 15 mile trip, the Anti-Lock Brake warning light came on. Figured I'd wait till I got home, restart the car and see if it cleared up.

Parked, tried to restart, and all I get are the clicks and other weird noises when your battery is dead.

Does this sound like just a battery problem, get a new one and things should be fine? Or could this be the alternator or something else? No warning about electrical problems, no check engine or other idiot lights.

The reason I'm asking is that I can have a friend help me pick up a battery at a nearby tire store that does tires, alignments, brakes and batteries, but nothing else.

Not really looking forward to getting the car towed to an auto shop, plus I have to work Sunday and Monday. Is putting in a battery worth the gamble or could there be more to this?

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Popped the hood and looked around. What's scary is I couldn't even find the battery. Looks like maybe it's behind the passenger side headlight in a black plastic container, I'll get the manual out to make sure, and check connections tomorrow when the car cools off a bit more.

Just for curiosity, tried starting it and it was fine. The ABS light also stayed off.

Been sitting about two hours but it's still pretty warm. It was about 90 here today. Drove home with full A/C. Also, no flames, but I was playing the new Dixie Chicks CD for the first time. Maybe a temporary revenge breakdown.

Now that it's apparently driveable again, I'll take it in and have it checked.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Your battery is probably underneath your windshielf washer reservoir, you need to remove the air filter, windshield washer reservior, 45 degree brace, and it should come out.

The battery has a black foam core protecting it from the engine heat.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info guys. I rarely look under the hood of this car, just never had the need to.

All the basics are right on top so you can top off the wiper fluid, add oil or coolant. Never realized the battery would be so hidden.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
When you check the connectio don't be fooled by your eyes. Spend $1.99 for a battery post cleaner and give it a whirl - especially if you see corrosion. Also use baking soda in whater and rinse it all off. You should get a strong connection after that. I don't know that your onl prob is your connection, but I am sure after you clean it your connection won't be a part of the formula...

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
If the battery is more than 4 years old, my tendency would be to replace it and avoid getting stuck somewhere in the future. If not, then I agree with cleaning posts, etc. GM tends to use side mounted batteries, I hate them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks