What's new

Captain Scarlet DVD problem (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
In case anyone here purchased the Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons DVD set, I wanted to know if anyone is experiencing the same glitch that I am.

I am playing the discs on an Elite Pioneer DVL-91. The disc loads fine and plays the intro and then shows a menu screen with an episode listing to choose from. Once an episode is chosen, you get a screen listing the chapters and a "play episode" button. None of these buttons highlight. If I use the navigation controls on the remote, or try to hit the enter key, the player stops play. Then by actuating the "play" key on the remote, the first episode plays.

Seems like a problem with the disc mastering, I would assume. I will try it on an older Pioneer player I have for grins later. Input appreaciated.

Thanks, Nelson

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
Nelson,

I just received my discs yesterday and I have the EXACT same problem you do with my Pioneer DV-606D player. On discs 1-3, you absolutely cannot make any menu selections for the first episode. You should also know that this problem also occurs with the last episode (#8) on each of those discs. Nothing else (i.e. bonus materials) seems to be affected.

And yes, if you hit any of the arrow keys or enter, the disc stops.

But there IS a way around this....a way to make the menu selections. Simply use the number pad to select the onscreen "buttons." Press 1 to start playing chapter 1, or press 2-6 to select those chapters. Pressing 7 takes you to the Main Menu, while 8 activates the "Next" page button.

Not the ideal solution, but it works.

Just as an FYI, discs 1 -3 are affected on my player, while disc 4 works perfectly. Also, I tried out 1 -3 on my Playstation, and the menu worked perfectly. Might be a bit early to tell, but I'm guessing that there is some sort of Pioneer compatibility problem with the first couple of discs.

Anyone else with a Pioneer model and Captain Scarlet want to pipe in here about your experience? Personally, I suggest those of us with a problem call up A&E Customer Service and let them know there is an incompatibility with our Pioneer models. It might be something they already know about and have a solution to.

If I find out anything else, I'll post it here.

Jeff

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, talked with A&E. They are definitely aware of the problem, and confirmed its existence. Since the disc was just released, there is no resolution as of yet since they just started looking into the problem. However, they have already received quite a few calls about it.

The problem is definitely confined to Pioneer players. Initially they believe it was only with one specific Pioneer model, but they do understand now that it's likely with the entire line rather than just one model. A&E also believed that the Pioneer player causing the problem, not their discs.

I spoke with one of their DVD customers service reps / supervisors for over a half-hour about this issue, and I've informed them that the problem -- at least on the surface -- appears to be a mastering issue, or possibly (although unlikely) a defect that occurred during the pressing stage. A&E seemed to believe that the entire set wouldn't play, because they didn't really know that it was confined to Discs 1-3. The rep was surprised when I told him my Disc 4 played fine. I told him it was specfically because of this weird discrepancy that there was obviously a mastering issue going on... if it was simply the Pioneer player, then none of the discs would work. The rep agreed that made complete sense.

In any event, as I said, A&E is aware of the problem, and hopefully it might get a remastering at some point. For now, the only real solution is to use the "Quick Fix" method I stated on the other posting: Use the number pad buttons to navigate through the problematic menus. (I also told this to A&E so they could inform callers of what to do. Hopefully they will...)

If you do have a problem, then definitely call A&E and report it to them. I was told they stand behind their products, and will whatever they can to help. Also, the more people who inform them of this problem, the better chance we'll have of getting it fixed. You can reach them at 888-423-1212 . Make sure you specifically ask to speak with a customer service representative. They will be able to help you, or pass you onto another supervisor who will. Also, if you wish a refund on your set, they will happily do so, even if you purchased it elsewhere.

In any event, I will be checking in with them from time to time to see what they will be doing about this. Hopefully we'll get a working disc some day. I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping that the upcoming UFO set is mastered correctly so that it doesn't exhibit these same problems.

Personally, I think it's The Mysterons still working behind-the-scenes to destroy our culture. This time, they are trying to prevent people from watching DVDs and gaining knowledge of their existence. But they will fail!

Jeff

Mario Bartel

Stunt Coordinator
The problem also afflicts my Toshiba 5109. But the work-around works fine.

BTW, the video quality of these discs is wonderful. I loved Captain Scarlet as a kid, but we only had a B&W television, so this is my first go-round seeing the episodes in color!

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
Mario,

I have an older Toshiba myself, and was really curious to know if it would work on that. But it's not plugged in anymore, and it was too much of a bother to do the hookups into my system (waaay too many cables back there, I try not to touch them when I don't need to).

Definitely report this to A&E next week when the real customers service / supervisor reps are back at work. If it's not working on some Toshibas as well, then this would indicate a more widespread problem affecting more players than A&E originally thought -- the more players it doesn't work on, the better the chance the disc will see a proper remastering. It wouldn't be good business for A&E if Captain Scarlet (or any of their other titles) doesn't work properly on two or more of the top player brands out there.

But as for what is on the discs themselves, all I can say is WOW!!! The video quality is just amazing! I actually had the Japanese import laserdisc series released about 10 years ago or so, and those were just beautiful. But they simply cannot compare to the quality of these new ones. These are complete clean -- not a speck or scratch anywhere -- and the colors are quite vivid. I'm just not used to seeing the wires on the puppets, or the texture details on the clothes, sets, etc. Again, simply amazing.

Just as an FYI for fans out there, here are some quick notes regarding the transfer that I found elsewhere (sorry, it's been a while, so I can't quote the original source). "Apparently BBC Resources have re-mastered all the episodes using a Spirit telecine, from 35mm low-contrast prints with astonishing results. All the work was carried out by a single colourist to allow a single 'look' for all the episodes. Another person was involved in the cleaning of the prints." My understanding is that they went back to the original negatives to make these new prints.

I did sell off my LDs about a year ago or so, when I learned that the Anderson titles were definitely being remastered. While I missed having the discs over the past year, I now have zero regrets... the DVDs are far superior in every manner (Plus I made a small fortune on the LDs, and paid next to nothing for the DVDs. I can't complain.) I can't wait to see how UFO and Stingray come out!

Jeff

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Jeff-

Great effort on your part to look into this with A&E. They are a reputable company and I;m glad they listened to you.

The work around is fine with me now that I know what to do about it. I will also report the problem to them.

I did try the disc on an older DVL-700 Pioneer player with the same results.

Again, your efforts are much appreciated!

Nelson

Rich P

Stunt Coordinator
Just for the record, Disc 1 menu works just fine on my Panasonic RP-56 player. It modded for Region Free playback, but don't think that is relevant to this issue.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Jeff or others-

One more thing, since you appear to be more then a casual fan of this series, I was curious if a suspicion of mine is correct.

The voice of Captain Scarlet sounds very familiar to me. At first I couldn't place it. Then it hit me, it sounds a lot like Cary Grant. Then I see in the end credits that a Cy Grant is listed. Could it be him? I know he was pretty much retired at this time, and the voice sounds like a young Cary Grant.

Thanks, Nelson

Rich P

Stunt Coordinator
From the Link Removed
2. Captain Scarlet was not voiced by Cary Grant as is widely believed. The voice-over artist was Francis Matthews who won the role based on his ability to ‘do’ a good Cary Grant voice!
3. The name ‘Cy Grant’ credited as one of the voice-over artists at the end of each episode is no relation! He was in fact the voice of Lieutenant Green, and was a well known 60s calypso singer/actor.

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
I have 2 Pioneer players (DVL-700 and DVL-919) and have the same problem. I also will be giving A&E a call. Thanks.

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
As a follow up: they played fine on my PS2. I called A&E to tell them of the Pioneer issue also.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Umm...did anyone noticed a color shift in the first episode while Scarlet and Brown were driving in the car? My copy has normal color, then cycles through colors like green, blue and magenta. It's odd, and I assumed it was a problem with all the copies but no one else has mentioned it here.

I'm just about to write up my review of the set so I'll mention the Pioneer problem in there.

Gord

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Surprised no one pointed this out, but anyone named Grant is not likely to be related to Cary Grant because his real name is Archibald Leach. People were trying to make some other connection in the 90's with Hugh Grant, but of course, same reason. And for the record, Hugh Grant real name is Hugh Grant.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I have had one firmware upgrade to my Pioneer DVL-700 and I guess I won't be getting it.
Let's hope that A&E gets this fixed right away. I just cancelled my DeepDiscountDVD order and anyway, they were out of stock...so soon? :frowning:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the color shift during the scene when Scarlet and Brown are driving in the first episode, I don't know this for sure, but I think it was intentional to show the Mysterons are scanning them right before they kill them. The later episodes use the two rings to indicate the Mysterons scanning them.

I would buy this set now if you're a fan regardless of the Pioneer problem. The work around works fine. I had the firmware upgrade done to my DVL-700 player and it does not affect the problem on these discs. They still exhibit the problem on the first episode of the 3 discs.

Yes Archibald Leach, I figured if it really was Cary Grant doing the voice, he'd use the same screen name of Cary Grant.

Nelson

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Nelson, I thought there must have been a reason behind it as well, but then in episode 2 they show the same footage and it's perfect. Once I do my review of the set (hopefully tonight) I'll email it to my A&E contact and ask him if he knows what happened.

Gord

Henry V

Stunt Coordinator
Just for the record British actor Francis Matthews isn't "doing" Cary Grant as Captain Scarlet,that's his normal voice.
You can enjoy his work in "Corridors of Blood" from IMAGE on DVD opposite Boris Karloff & Chris Lee or in "Dracula,Prince of Darkness" opposite Chris Lee again from Anchor Bay on DVD as the obligatory leading man.

Terry Hickey

Second Unit
Real Name
Terry Hickey
I just got the DVD's today and I haven't had any problem with the discs on my SONY dvd player. My boys watched a couple of the episodes with me and thought they were cool.

Ian OConnell

Auditioning
Hi there,
I have had the same problems with a Pioneer DV-333. Likewise Discs 1 - 3 all have the problem, and four works perfectly. I too have the colour change, but I thought that it was just for effect rather than wrong, but hopefully we will all find out soon enough.

Hopefully A&E will offer a replacement.

I love the transfer quality, and I cannot wait until Stingray.

Cheers for the info

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks