What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Canon S2 IS is out :) (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
This camera is for sale and very reasonabley priced vs the Panasonics and retains the full video mode of the S1 IS, plus stereo movie recording, a wind noise reduction feature and low light AF assist :)

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...hot_s2-review/

I'm thinking of selling my S1 and upgrading to the S2. A jump from a 10x 3.2 MP to a 5MP 12 x camera is significant.

ScottHH

Stunt Coordinator
Keep in mind that the S2 uses SD cards instead of the CF cards used in the S1. So you'll have to replace your memory card(s).

Also the sensor is slightly smaller on the S2 and it has more resolution vs. the S1. This suggests the potential for higher noise, especially at higher ISO's. Some of the dpreview user opinions say they have confirmed this. I might be inclined to wait for some reviews to do a more complete comparision.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Yep. I'm reading reviews and researching first. I haven't seen anything that shows higher noise, but I didn't see anything that showed less noise. SD cards are ok. They're faster. I would likely sell my CF cards with my S1. I'll check those user reviews you pointed out. Apart from noise, I was hoping for a manual focus ring! Darn it. The S1 video mode is so much fun to use, I want to keep that and upgrade the cameras photo taking, not go down with the increased noise.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
It appears to me that if you use it at 100 ISO or 50 ISO you should be ok. The noise at higher ISO's is a draw back, but then with the IS function, you can stay at the lower ISO's at darker light and/or with faster motion, longer zoom. Not sure if it balances out, but it makes sense.

Anyone here grab an S2 yet?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I've been very tempted to go for one of these, and I have a S1 already. If I didn't have the S1, I know I'd get the S2 with no qualms. I just don't know if the "corrections" from the S1 that the S2 offers, plus the refinements will be enough to offset selling off the S1, taking a loss, and then covering the difference (at least $200) to get the S1.

JasonMC

Stunt Coordinator
Patrick,

I'm in the same situation you are. I have had my S1 for almost a year. The S2 sounds mighty tempting.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
My sister is interested in a digital point-and-shoot. I've tried it out in-store and like it enough to recommend it as one of two choices I mentioned to her.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I have also tried out the S2 in the stores, and the auto-focus is much better than the S1's "hunting" session at times for telephoto use. I won't say the AF is perfect, but a marked improvement over the S1. It's also a little bigger than the S1, but not distractingly so. Noise level will be a problem in low light shooting at 200 or 400 ISO. If you shoot at 50 or 100 ISO, you may just need to brighten up the pics later to get what you want out of low light situations while reducing noise.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I ordered the S2 IS the other day stacking some Dell deals, I think my price was around $390 after tax. The current estimated ship date is something ridiculous, end of September, but I think Dell is always way off on the ship dates, I would expect it by the end of the month.

I am getting second thoughts though, perhaps leaning towards the Sony DSC-H1. If the picture quality is similar to the Canon, the Sony would have the added benefit to allow me to view the pictures on my PSP. Of course, it comes at a cost of an extra $40 for 1 GB memory stick vs SD card.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered a S2, so hopefully I'll have show up by early next week. I've already played with the camera at stores, so I have an idea of its shortcomings, and its strengths. I just happened to have some windfall in my Paypal account, so it made it easy for me to go through with the purchase at this time.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
My sister just purchased one, and brought it over for me to look at.

I think it fills the gap nicely, between cheap point & shoot cameras, and DSLRs. I have a low end P&S, and a Canon 10D DSLR, so I don't have a need for this camera - but I liked what I saw. Very responsive, decent zoom...

-Scott

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, I've been playing around with my S2 for a few weeks now. The video mode is quite nifty, especially with the ability to zoom in and out while recording video.

But, my 1GB SD card took a dirt nap (totally hosed, can't access it to format it, or anything else), so I have to get that replaced ASAP. I don't know if it was the SD card that went bad, or if the camera is killing the SD card. I guess I'll find out once I get a replacement for the card and exercise the camera some more.

The SD card was a Sandisk Ultra II SD card, one of the well recommended cards out there for this camera. Maybe I just got unlucky?

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I have several Sandisk CF cards (couple of 1G, couple of 512) that are well used and abused. Never had a second's worth of trouble. Hopefully, you just got unlucky.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think I might try getting a couple 512MB SD cards as well, just to spread the risk around, plus I've read that the 1GB cards might be problematic in this camera (probably a small percentage, going by the threads I've read on this situation), but the lower capacity cards aren't as problematic.

I had to use a data recovery utility to scrap off the last of my photos (which I knew were written to the card since I had viewed them via the camera before transferring them via a USB card reader). But after the last recovery exercise, the card totally failed afterwards.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Patrick...how do you like the S2 IS? How do others like it? The big issue I heard was higher than average picture noise.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
FYI to readers, I answered this in a PM to Chris with links to photos taken with a S2 (before realizing there was a post on the topic).

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Yes, thank-you Patrick. Nice photo's. I am trying to decide whether or not to upgrade my S1 to the S2. I like the idea of longer zoom (12x 5MP is actually alot more than the 10x 3.2 MP resolution wise...its not just like going to 12x 3.2 MP. I think when you crop a zoomed photo on the 5 MP, you can get "closer" until the resolution is equal to the 3.2 MP and you will be closer than 12x...Am I explaing this correctly?)

If anybody else has feedback regarding the S2 vs the S1, please lemme know what you think.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I know there is still no hotshoe, and now the S2 flash must be lifted and lowered as desired (correct?).

Does this camera have a flash synch for an external flash? Is manual focussing any better with the S2?

thanx

:)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Looking for feedback from S2 IS owners...what do you say? Thinking of upgrading my S1 to the S2...

:)

Never mind, I picked up an S2 IS so I will go to it :)

...in fact, I wonder if I should do some comparing. One thing is for sure, optics and noise levels aside, the new S2 IS zooms quite a bit farther (it is surprisingly noticable how much farther 12x zooms vs 10x, especially seeing as how its 5 MP too)...and the focus is much faster...

. . .

P.S. Since I just bought an S2 and my S1 is for sale now :)

Canon S1 IS for sale $390 CDN. Comes with original box, manual and compact flash card, av and usb cable and additional 512 MB Sandisk Ultra II high speed (60x) Compact Flash card.

...I bought an ATP SD Card Pro 60x (up to 10MB/sec). Hope it is fast enough. Do I need faster?

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I'm very happy with my S2 IS. One thing that bugs me is that the AUTO setting doesn't allow you to set the flash to be always on for fill flash. Also, there are little buttons scattered all around the camera for some basic settings like timer, macro, and videocamera. It would also be nice if the videocamera would use the newer mpeg4 for compression, even with a 1GB card you only get just a few minutes (around 7 minutes I think).

I posted these pictures in another thread, but I'll link them here. These are from a U2 concert last fall in Chicago, notice the benefits of 12x zoom :). No touch-ups other than sizing them down. Similar pictures taken with the Nikon 5200 were completely dark and unusable.

http://www.wowway.com/~pdenton/2005_0920_224955.JPG
http://www.wowway.com/~pdenton/2005_0920_211956.JPG
http://www.wowway.com/~pdenton/2005_0920_215117.JPG
http://www.wowway.com/~pdenton/2005_0920_222714.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anonymous01
Recent bookmarks