What's new

Canadian Lion's Gate Supermarket Releases (1 Viewer)

Gary Harris

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't know any other way to describe this. Today I was in our local supermarket & saw quite a large display of Lion's Gate DVD releases. They were all pretty much "below B" releases with the exception of Simply Ballroom. There were no specs on the covers of sound or presentation. Anyone have any info? The prices were all 5.99cdn. I'd hate to pay even that for P&S.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Hahaha....I was in Safeway just an hour ago and saw the same thing. They looked like horrible movies and I only recognized "Double Dragon".

Stay away I think....

Gord

Chris Richard

Auditioning
I just opened and started viewing a Lion's Head copy of Simply Ballroom last night. Sure enough it was P&S. The DVD had no extras and the quality was questionable (though I didn't watch much of it.)

I bought this copy at an eBay dutch auction for $9.99. My mistake. Beware.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
I just opened and started viewing a Lion's Head copy of Simply Ballroom last night. Sure enough it was P&S. The DVD had no extras and the quality was questionable (though I didn't watch much of it.)
Lions Gate did infact release a P&S version of Strictly Ballroom a couple years back. Miramax has since released an SE with a 1.85:1 anamorphic transfer and DD 5.1 sound in the US. That disc remains unavailable in Canada except for imports untill June 18th when Lions Gate is releasing that very same disc (I have an advance copy). The disc is identical to the US one with the exception of the chapter list is included on the back cover instead of on an insert.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
A few of these have turned up in the US at Big Lots (formerly MacFrugal's), I picked up Ernest Rides Again and Slam Dunk Ernest. Quality isn't Madacy-bad but they are obviously from an analog tape source as I saw a few tape glitches. I can see why Canadians gripe whenever this company gets the rights to put out a good movie.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
I can see why Canadians gripe whenever this company gets the rights to put out a good movie
Lions Gate has been doing a better job recently with Tape and espescially Lantana being discs with nice audio/video quality. Their upcoming release Monster's Ball looks quite impressive and I hope to have a copy in my hand later this week or early next.

Both Lions Gate and Seville have long since stopped their P&S only ways and are constantly putting out some top notch.

Mark.

Tim Robbins

Agent
I have a Lion's Gate copy of Hellraiser 3 that I picked up at a walmart about 2 yrs ago. I only watched the disc 1/2 way thru, looks like it was copied to DVD from a really bad VHS source (P&S, sound quality is horrible).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks