What's new

Can new cars not take a pot hole hit? (1 Viewer)

Stacey

Stunt Coordinator
[rant]

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed people who drive mega expensive new cars swerve five feet (Even into the Incomming Lane!) to avoid driving over a tiny pot hole half the size of a hardball?!?

Then there's the "sensitive to vibration driver" who must slow to 10mph to navigate every small bump on the road (like a manhole cover).

Can the new cars not handle all the stress and strain of normal everyday roads?

[/rant]

Anyone else have this experience? I got stuck behind two "swervers" and one "vibration" the other day and I just had to ask.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Well, I do not know about the size of the holes but many of the newer more expenisve cars come with 50 series and even 40 series tires. Rims get bent easily and they are expensive.

C. Ryan

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
Hmm I thought everybody does that, not exclusive to expensive cars. Why experience any shock if a few degrees of wheel rotation will avoid it.

Less stress on the car and the slower squeaks and rattles will develop.

I personally once even bent a strut assembly when going over a pot hole in a construction area where I haven't driven before, so yes I try to avoid all pot holes.

A much funnier observance around here is Trucks/Suvs that are afraid to go on a slightly rough emergency lane when someone is making a turn and blocking a one way, or when those 'tough' cars don't want to put one tire a 2" high median to make it in the turning lane and make the green arrow at an intersection; both maneuvers any wheelchair is even capable of.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
cars come with 50 series and even 40 series tires. Rims get bent easily and they are expensive.
That is my story. Having the low-profile tires is a nice touch (well, for me, anyways) but they sure can't take much abuse. I already have a dented rim from a pot-hole that butted up against a train track and I don't need more. Plus, my car is so low, I really do fear bottoming out.

Bruce

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
A much funnier observance around here is Trucks/Suvs that are afraid to go on a slightly rough emergency lane when someone is making a turn and blocking a one way, or when those 'tough' cars don't want to put one tire a 2" high median to make it in the turning lane and make the green arrow at an intersection; both maneuvers any wheelchair is even capable of.
Probably because you aren't supposed to drive on the median or cross those solid white lines or drive in the shoulder (emergency lane?) when you are just trying to get through traffic. If a cop was sitting there he'd ticket you for sure. My dad was pulled over and ticketed for crossing a solid white line while moving into a turn lane. It was packed up to the beginning of the turn lane so he crossed the line to get out of traffic and get set in the lane for when it advanced. The cop pulled him over and gave him a ticket.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
The cop pulled him over and gave him a ticket.
Obviously, he had nothing better to do. No crack dealers to arrest. No gang members to track. No shoplifters to contend with. Nope, instead, he left his hot doughnut at the station that morning and as a result was having a really bad day, so he took it out on an unsuspecting motorist.

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
MikeAlletto, you could be right, maybe I am a dangerous driver, BUT I really don’t recall from anywhere that either maneuver was illegal.
Maybe someone who *actually* read that book on driving will clear this up ;)
Ok situation #1. Two way road, two solid lines, dashed where turns can be made (not pictured). One car is making a left hand turn, heavy opposing traffic, blocking heavy traffic behind it also, hundreds of feet build up in under a minute. Would it be illegal to pass it on the shoulder at low speed say 5 mph? Shoulder sometime is divided from main road with a white line sometime not.
Situation #2. Intersection, be it 1 or two lanes, and one turning lane. The light is red. Is it illegal to go a few inches on the 2" high median divider to squeeze into the empty space and not wait two light changes to make the green arrow again?
Untitled-1.jpg

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
A car that low really shouldnt be on the road!!!!
So does that mean Ferraris and Porsches are not allowed on the roads either? If it is within legal limits, then it IS allowed on the roads, regardless of your personal opinion.
Mike Lenthol, I do believe both of those maneuvers are against the law (in my state, at least). There is not passing on the right of any kind, and I'm sure there is something about curbs and yellow lines in there somewhere. ;)
Note - I'm not saying that I don't break those laws every now and then...

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Ok situation #1. Two way road, two solid lines, dashed where turns can be made (not pictured). One car is making a left hand turn, heavy opposing traffic, blocking heavy traffic behind it also, hundreds of feet build up in under a minute. Would it be illegal to pass it on the shoulder at low speed say 5 mph? Shoulder sometime is divided from main road with a white line sometime not.
Situation #2. Intersection, be it 1 or two lanes, and one turning lane. The light is red. Is it illegal to go a few inches on the 2" high median divider to squeeze into the empty space and not wait two light changes to make the green arrow again?
I think the phrase "Patience is a virtue" applies here. Man, why are you in such a hurry? I stay on the pavement. I'm guessing that per the strict rules of the road, it probably is illegal. However, I don't see too many people getting tickets for it.
I don't agree with Ryan's sentiment, though. Where do you draw the line? If some semblance of sanity isn't maintained on the roads, pretty soon it'll be anarchy. It's already approaching that here in Orlando. Four cars through a red light, people running up on curbs to make (not quite) the light, driving through someone's front yard just to get around a speed bump, etc.
I just had some nitwit today cut me off (in a Navigator). Because I sighed and shook my head (no finger or horn, mind you), and he saw me in his rear view, he felt the need to pull into my turn lane, and stop me. He got out, so I got out (don't want to be at a distinct disadvantage), and he began yelling various obscenities. At this point, I'm about to explode all over this weasel. The nerve of someone intentionally cutting me off (he signaled with his middle finger out the window before pulling in front of me!), and then trying to start something. I told him to get back in his overpriced gas guzzler and go cut someone else off. He starts to come back to my car. I then proceed to walk quickly toward him (I am now fuming, and can feel myself going flush- this is rage!), he gets into his truck, flips me off again, and drives off.
Where does this retard get off driving like this, and then trying to assault me??? Someone will have to explain this to me. Is it because I was in my Accord today, and not my old Z28???:rolleyes
To go with the topic, I avoid potholes, and go slow over speed bumps, because I drive stiffly sprung cars (Z28 with road race susp., and Acura TL-S). Under no circumstances do I swerve into someone else's lane/space. It's not necessary here in FL, as we don't have "car-eater" sized potholes. I do this because I value my cars, and do not wish to prematurely age the vehicles.
Todd

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I don't know whether it's illegal to go on the median, but it makes no sense. If you're that close to making it, you surely will not have to wait two more red lights to be able to get into the turn lane. The people that insist on turning into the left turn lane way too early really bug me, since they normally have to make several illegal maneuvers to get in there early, and it almost never saves them any time.

/Mike

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
I agree completely. Some people are just ridiculous. I've seen people swerve to miss manhole covers and areas of the road that have simply been patched (i.e. there is like a quarter inch height difference from the rest of the road)!! Even people in trucks and SUVs? WTF is that about?

Also, and this is just my own opinion, I think it's lame to have wheels that are so low profile you can't hit minor bumps in the road. For one, rims that large simply look gaudy in addition to being totally impractical. There are these horrible rims a lot of people around here have that are disgusting. They are all chrome and the design on the inside looks like a series of huge wedges. But I see tons of them on SUVs around the university campus. They make want to puke.

Now I appreciate nice rims just like any other guy, but it seems recently a LOT of people simply don't know where to draw the line between classy and gaudy.

Aaron

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
MickeS, yes there are some turns with 'yield' on green, but most have the green arrow which turns on for a split moment, and cars from both directions make turns. After that it's red for turns and straight through traffic gets green. That's when the turners get the chance to only *get* into the turning lane.

Then wait till straight through traffic gets a red, then the wait for the other green and red cycle for the other side, only THEN will the turning green appears again. So it is two green/light cycles. It's especially painful where there are 'opposing traffic has extended green' signs.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Also, and this is just my own opinion, I think it's lame to have wheels that are so low profile you can't hit minor bumps in the road. For one, rims that large simply look gaudy in addition to being totally impractical. There are these horrible rims a lot of people around here have that are disgusting. They are all chrome and the design on the inside looks like a series of huge wedges. But I see tons of them on SUVs around the university campus. They make want to puke.
Ah, the "Bling, Bling" look. It's part of the ongoing "all style, no substance" among the younger car enthusiasts poseurs. 18" rims, giant wing, and 200 stickers on a Sentra, and you've got yourself a 1000hp car.:rolleyes
I'm only 10 years older than many of these folks, and I just don't get it. Who knew the generation gap could get so narrow??

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Passing on the shoulder IS illegal. Driving up on the median to get in a turn lane (whether its an inch on, or all the way on) has got to be illegal because it doesn't make sense for it not to be. Maybe you should leave your starting location earlier so you don't have to rush through traffic and drive on the medians and shoulders to get "ahead" of everyone. You may not get in an accident yourself, but chances are you'll cause one and not realize it.

Todd why did you get out of your car in the first place. I would have just sat there and let them come up to my car. Let them try and start something. I've got a big weapon that I'm driving and I'll run their ass over or open the door quickly and knock them over. "I felt fearful for my life so I acted to protect myself judge. He quickly approached me swearing and yelling at me, what else was I supposed to do?"

People are idiots when they drive, no need to stoop to their level. I was coming home late one night and got to a stop light with a pickup next to me. It turned green and I accelerated and got in front of him because i had to turn in a bit. I didn't cut him off and was quite a distance ahead of him. He then sped up and got right on my tail. I got to my turn and started slowing down with my blinker on. He went around me, flipped me off then passed me. I flashed my brights as I turned...some people don't deserve to have their license. I'm not saying I never do anything stupid, we all make mistakes, but I've never purposely cut anyone off or tailed them, or raced them or tried to push them off the road because they made me angry.

E

Eric Kahn

There is no regulation on ground clearance for motor vehicles, just praticality, my VW NB comes from the factory with just over 4 inches of ground clearance, it has slightly changed my driving style, I have already hi-centered a manhole cover that had been raised to repave a road, I was going slow but it is a shock when you hear the bang that never would have happend in my old car

the front bumper air dam is so close to the ground that it will not clear the concrete bumpers used in parking lots

the worse part is that I read about people lowering these cars even more

for normal driving, there is no problem but you have to watch yourself in construction zones and badly potholed roads

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Todd why did you get out of your car in the first place. I would have just sat there and let them come up to my car. Let them try and start something. I've got a big weapon that I'm driving and I'll run their ass over or open the door quickly and knock them over. "I felt fearful for my life so I acted to protect myself judge. He quickly approached me swearing and yelling at me, what else was I supposed to do?"
Because, to be frank, I would have received much more pleasure from beating the holy crap out of him with my hands.:) Guns and run-downs are lazy man's tools. I'm occasionally reminded that I have a lot of inner rage.:D
In fact, when I pulled into the left turn lane and slowed, he saw me and jumped in front of me. He apparently thought I was stopping to let him have it. I was just trying to turn left into work. ???
I didn't start it (in any way), but he figured out pretty quickly that would have finished it. So he left. Perhaps he'll think twice about driving like a jackass (probably not, but who cares).
I guess I'm becoming completely intolerant of the self-centered morons that I seemingly encounter, more and more every day.
I asked my cop friend- driving on the median or shoulder is a stoppable offense here in FL. Surprisingly, so is beating the crap out of someone who cut you off.;)
Todd

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I've got 225/45/R17 tires on my car, and learned just how expensive they can be. I was forced into a curb and the final cost after replacing two tires and having the alignment done was $540. So yep, I'll be avoiding the potholes so long as I don't endanger anyone else while doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks