Can new cars not take a pot hole hit?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stacey, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Stacey

Stacey Stunt Coordinator

[rant]

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed people who drive mega expensive new cars swerve five feet (Even into the Incomming Lane!) to avoid driving over a tiny pot hole half the size of a hardball?!?

Then there's the "sensitive to vibration driver" who must slow to 10mph to navigate every small bump on the road (like a manhole cover).

Can the new cars not handle all the stress and strain of normal everyday roads?

[/rant]

Anyone else have this experience? I got stuck behind two "swervers" and one "vibration" the other day and I just had to ask.

2. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Well, I do not know about the size of the holes but many of the newer more expenisve cars come with 50 series and even 40 series tires. Rims get bent easily and they are expensive.

C. Ryan

3. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

Hmm I thought everybody does that, not exclusive to expensive cars. Why experience any shock if a few degrees of wheel rotation will avoid it.

Less stress on the car and the slower squeaks and rattles will develop.

I personally once even bent a strut assembly when going over a pot hole in a construction area where I haven't driven before, so yes I try to avoid all pot holes.

A much funnier observance around here is Trucks/Suvs that are afraid to go on a slightly rough emergency lane when someone is making a turn and blocking a one way, or when those 'tough' cars don't want to put one tire a 2" high median to make it in the turning lane and make the green arrow at an intersection; both maneuvers any wheelchair is even capable of.

4. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Maybe the Mark Levinson audio systems in the Lexus' cant take a jolt that hard [​IMG]

5. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

6. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

7. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

8. Rob Longmore

Rob Longmore Stunt Coordinator

9. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

MikeAlletto, you could be right, maybe I am a dangerous driver, BUT I really don’t recall from anywhere that either maneuver was illegal.
    Maybe someone who *actually* read that book on driving will clear this up [​IMG]
    Ok situation #1. Two way road, two solid lines, dashed where turns can be made (not pictured). One car is making a left hand turn, heavy opposing traffic, blocking heavy traffic behind it also, hundreds of feet build up in under a minute. Would it be illegal to pass it on the shoulder at low speed say 5 mph? Shoulder sometime is divided from main road with a white line sometime not.
    Situation #2. Intersection, be it 1 or two lanes, and one turning lane. The light is red. Is it illegal to go a few inches on the 2" high median divider to squeeze into the empty space and not wait two light changes to make the green arrow again?
    [​IMG]

10. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

11. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

12. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I don't know whether it's illegal to go on the median, but it makes no sense. If you're that close to making it, you surely will not have to wait two more red lights to be able to get into the turn lane. The people that insist on turning into the left turn lane way too early really bug me, since they normally have to make several illegal maneuvers to get in there early, and it almost never saves them any time.

/Mike

13. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I'd agree they don't wanna bend a wheel. I just run em over [​IMG]

14. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron
    I agree completely. Some people are just ridiculous. I've seen people swerve to miss manhole covers and areas of the road that have simply been patched (i.e. there is like a quarter inch height difference from the rest of the road)!! Even people in trucks and SUVs? WTF is that about?

Also, and this is just my own opinion, I think it's lame to have wheels that are so low profile you can't hit minor bumps in the road. For one, rims that large simply look gaudy in addition to being totally impractical. There are these horrible rims a lot of people around here have that are disgusting. They are all chrome and the design on the inside looks like a series of huge wedges. But I see tons of them on SUVs around the university campus. They make want to puke.

Now I appreciate nice rims just like any other guy, but it seems recently a LOT of people simply don't know where to draw the line between classy and gaudy.

Aaron

15. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

MickeS, yes there are some turns with 'yield' on green, but most have the green arrow which turns on for a split moment, and cars from both directions make turns. After that it's red for turns and straight through traffic gets green. That's when the turners get the chance to only *get* into the turning lane.

Then wait till straight through traffic gets a red, then the wait for the other green and red cycle for the other side, only THEN will the turning green appears again. So it is two green/light cycles. It's especially painful where there are 'opposing traffic has extended green' signs.

16. Todd Hochard

17. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Passing on the shoulder IS illegal. Driving up on the median to get in a turn lane (whether its an inch on, or all the way on) has got to be illegal because it doesn't make sense for it not to be. Maybe you should leave your starting location earlier so you don't have to rush through traffic and drive on the medians and shoulders to get "ahead" of everyone. You may not get in an accident yourself, but chances are you'll cause one and not realize it.

Todd why did you get out of your car in the first place. I would have just sat there and let them come up to my car. Let them try and start something. I've got a big weapon that I'm driving and I'll run their ass over or open the door quickly and knock them over. "I felt fearful for my life so I acted to protect myself judge. He quickly approached me swearing and yelling at me, what else was I supposed to do?"

People are idiots when they drive, no need to stoop to their level. I was coming home late one night and got to a stop light with a pickup next to me. It turned green and I accelerated and got in front of him because i had to turn in a bit. I didn't cut him off and was quite a distance ahead of him. He then sped up and got right on my tail. I got to my turn and started slowing down with my blinker on. He went around me, flipped me off then passed me. I flashed my brights as I turned...some people don't deserve to have their license. I'm not saying I never do anything stupid, we all make mistakes, but I've never purposely cut anyone off or tailed them, or raced them or tried to push them off the road because they made me angry.

18. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

There is no regulation on ground clearance for motor vehicles, just praticality, my VW NB comes from the factory with just over 4 inches of ground clearance, it has slightly changed my driving style, I have already hi-centered a manhole cover that had been raised to repave a road, I was going slow but it is a shock when you hear the bang that never would have happend in my old car

the front bumper air dam is so close to the ground that it will not clear the concrete bumpers used in parking lots

the worse part is that I read about people lowering these cars even more

for normal driving, there is no problem but you have to watch yourself in construction zones and badly potholed roads

19. Todd Hochard

20. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I've got 225/45/R17 tires on my car, and learned just how expensive they can be. I was forced into a curb and the final cost after replacing two tires and having the alignment done was $540. So yep, I'll be avoiding the potholes so long as I don't endanger anyone else while doing it.