What's new

Can I add DPL II and/or 6.1 capability to my receiver (Yamaha RX-V596)? (1 Viewer)

Clint B

Second Unit
Hi, everyone. I'm not completely a newbie here (over 50 posts), but there are still A LOT of things I just don't know. Anyway, my subject line says just about everything. The Yamaha RX-V596 is a year 2000 model which has 6.1 channel inputs according to Yamaha's website, but I'm not sure that's correct (on the back of the receiver there are inputs that look like they would be for another 5.1 device like DVD-A, but not necessarily 6.1). Also, with the DPL II thing, I know I'd have to get some sort of external decoder for it, if such a thing even exists. Any help you can give is appreciated. :)

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Clint, here it is Saturday night and we're on the computer, sted of watching movies! go figure.
Our Yamaha provides a 6 Chl Input not 6.1, which is there as you surmise for a DVD-Audio player's 6 RCA analog audio cables.
Dolby ProLogic II or DPL II is a chip-based formula that's essentially just another DSP. It takes a chip in the machine to process this. Media does not come with DPL II encoded. Instead of looking for an outboard processor for this new algorithm, most people are buying new AVRs to get the feature: you know, "the next best thing."

Clint B

Second Unit
Thanks for your reply. It sounds like my receiver may have 6 channel capability (with the ".1" used with the sub that I already have). With regard to DPL II, it sounds like I'd need to buy a receiver with DPL II already on board, or I would need to buy a decoder, if such a thing exists. Can you (or anyone else) help me out on whether or not DPL II decoders are available? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks