What's new

Can hdtv antenna lead be connected to dish? (1 Viewer)

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
I'm getting a hdtv dish this Wednesday and would like to know if my rooftop antenna lead can be connected to the dish lead that goes to the receiver or will it have to be a separate connection. In other words, does the dish cable and the OTA antenna attach to the receiver separately?

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
They do attach seperately. Do you only have one feed to the room or something? If so it is possible using diplexors.

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
Thanks, Jeff. I was hoping I wouldn't have to drill another hole in my house for the OTA antenna since I will be installing it myself. Any tips on antenna installation would be appreciated. And what is a diplexor? I am new to the whole dish thing.

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
Acually you will need 2 diplexors. What a diplexor is is kind of like a reverse splitter. It allows you to combine your antenna feed and your satellite feed into one cable. The reason you need a second is to seperate the 2 signals at your receiver. You can not however use regular splitters to do this it must be labled as a diplexor. As far as antenna placement goes, if its mounted near your dish it will make cableing easier. If its a directional antenna it just need to be pointed towards your local stations. Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks