What's new

Pre-Order Camille (1936) (Blu-ray) (Warner Archive Collection) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
You're welcome. You know, one forgets these things, they just seem like ordinary experiences after a while, part of the fabric of life, as quotidian as the aroma of the special sauce wafting from a Big Mac at the local mall, and it was only Jose mentioning that Garbo wasn't at MOMA that I remembered.
I was your madeleine in your tisane.

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
You're welcome. You know, one forgets these things, they just seem like ordinary experiences after a while, part of the fabric of life, as quotidian as the aroma of the special sauce wafting from a Big Mac at the local mall, and it was only Jose mentioning that Garbo wasn't at MOMA that I remembered.
Thanks so much for remembering and for sharing your memory.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Wow! That's quite a story!

When I was in New York in 1975, I went to Garbo's apartment building and rang her up on the house phone as there was no doorman to stop me. I spoke to an elderly woman with an accent for a few minutes who said Miss Garbo wasn't home. I'm not sure if it was her maid or it was Garbo herself, which makes it all the more tantalizing. What an adventure! And how great to finally have "Camille" on Blu-ray!

Did you make her laugh?

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I've lived in New York now for most of my adult life and you get used to seeing famous people and treating them just like anyone else. Many can be quite neighborly. I'd probably passed by Garbo dozens of times before without really seeing her, for New Yorkers, myself included, are always late, like Lewis Carroll's White Rabbit. But that time, for some reason, there was something about her cheekbones that struck me, the way the late afternoon light, ebbing but still luminous, washed over her face, making her appear like something out of a painting, a flurry of symmetry and stark beauty, the eyes, mouth and chin perfectly poised, reminiscent of mysteries I couldn't begin to fathom, and then I realized it was Garbo, and I started to look away, respecting her privacy, but she noticed me noticing her, so she ran into the street dodging cars, more like a lark or wisp of cloud than someone human, the facade of the Ritz Hotel a mute witness. It was extraordinary, that swiftness and precision, for she must have been close to eighty.

If it's not, I'm certainly holding on to the DVD!
Just posted by Tim Millard
For those who have been asking about CAMILLE extras, I have received confirmation that the new Blu-ray will include the 1921 silent version (same as the DVD).

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
I remember MOMA had a gorgeous print of CAMILLE during the Cukor retro, but that might have been '69 or '70, before you arrived in the city. When I first moved to New York, not yet realizing that to be a true New Yorker, you couldn't ever meet anyone's glance, I noticed Garbo walking towards me on Park Avenue and as she passed, I smiled. She immediately bolted across the street, weaving between oncoming cars and then leaping across the parkway. Never have I gotten such a strong reaction to a smile, either before or since.
Not all the silent movie stars were so shy. Shortly after moving to NYC, I was walking on 5th Avenue in the 70s one day. All of a sudden there was a tingle in the air, and traffic was coming to a standstill. It was because Gloria Swanson was taking a stroll, dripping red fox furs and preceded by two Russian wolfhounds on leashes. I stood gaping like the village idiot as she passed me, nodding in my direction ever so slightly. My guess is that many of the people in the traffic jam had no idea who she was, but by God they knew she was someone. After that no celebrity sighting, of which there were many, caused me to lose my cool. Nothing and no one could top La Swanson!

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I saw Camille for the first time in the mid 1950s. It was showing at my local cinema in North London as support to the main film. I don't remember the name of the main film but I do remember Camille, partly because the film was projected on the wide screen and the projectionist had to keep cranking the framing up and down to ensure that essential picture information was not lost! That was common, in those days, when that cinema showed Academy ratio films.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
1674721308301.png

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Not all the silent movie stars were so shy. Shortly after moving to NYC, I was walking on 5th Avenue in the 70s one day. All of a sudden there was a tingle in the air, and traffic was coming to a standstill. It was because Gloria Swanson was taking a stroll, dripping red fox furs and preceded by two Russian wolfhounds on leashes. I stood gaping like the village idiot as she passed me, nodding in my direction ever so slightly. My guess is that many of the people in the traffic jam had no idea who she was, but by God they knew she was someone. After that no celebrity sighting, of which there were many, caused me to lose my cool. Nothing and no one could top La Swanson!
Gloria Who? ;)!?

1674744923433.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks