Calling all Sony DA4ES owners......

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kevin Alexander, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

I am thinking about adding 1 or 2 surround back channels to my HT setup to take advantage of DD-EX and DTS-ES, and was wondering what most of you use. My HT room is 26 feet long, 11 feet wide, and the wall behind my seated listening position is 6 feet behind me. Do you recommend 1 or 2 speakers for rear effects? How are the 7 channel modes on the DA4ES processor? I think I'd like two channels, but will definately go w/ only one channel if that is all that is necessary. Also, will a satellite speaker(s) do, or do I need bookshelf speakers? After all, they're only for effects, right?

2. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

The DA4ES has the Sony Cinema mode which stereo-lizes the rear channel - so definitely get two speakers if you're going to go that route.

There's little rear channel information - or at least at the moment so you could get by with sats if you're on a budget but the bookshelves would obviously be better. It all depends on your budget / if you have room for these additional channels.

3. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

I started with the Polk RM6700 (5.1) satellite system when I was using the DA1ES. I upgraded to the 4ES and immediately bought two Polk RTi38 (Bookshelves)and one centre channel bookshelf so two of the RM6700 ended up in the back. I am quite happy with the effect created by the satellites and have no intention to replace them with book shelf speakers. The only sad thing is I now have a redundant RM6700 centre channel speaker. If I did not already have the satellite speakers, I would have gone with a single back channel bookshelf.

4. terence

terence Supporting Actor

Definatly go with two for the SB's. I have a 4000 cubic ft dedicated HT room, i'm running these-

-Acoustic Research Hi-Res AR5's-main
    -Acoustic Research Hi-Res AR17's-surrounds
    -Acoustic Research Hi-Res AR17's-surrounds backs
    -Acoustic Research Hi-Res AR2C-center channel
    -(2) SVS 20-39 PC Pluses-12” Subs

If you turn the amps on for the SB's and do not engage SB's Auto, Matrix the 4ES will run in 7ch 24-7. If you run SB's Auto, the SB's will only operate when EX, ES decoding is detected. If you run Matrix the SB's will run everything you play in this mode. If you run SB's Off (like I do) the SB's will run 24-7. I enjoy the 7ch sound (CS EX-C) with all my DVD's, I say GO FOR IT! [​IMG] [​IMG]