Calling all Kenwood VR-xxx Experts!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_E, Jan 10, 2002.

1. John_E

John_E Stunt Coordinator

My speaker stands are arriving tomorrow, and I plan to do my first calibration with an Avia/VE and a SPL meter. I have the VR-509 with 4 Atoms, a CC170 and a PDR-10. What Kenwood specific tips can you offer to make my life easier?

Also--how loud does it usually get? I was hoping to do it on Saturday night after my 20 month old son goes to bed.

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    It usually gets up to 75dB... possibly 85dB...

I dunno bout the new VR recievers, but the older ones have a slight problem with them... You cannot adjust the front L and R channels by themselves (if you use VE or Avia), rather you have to adjust them in the recievers' own testtone calibration menu...

So what you do is calibrate the front L and R as close as possible to the 75dB reference level (85dB for AVIA), then calibrate the rest (CEnter, subwoofer, surrounds) from the calibration dVD

3. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

I have the Kenwood VR 507. If you are curious about how loud it will be, my volume setting is -30 for 75 db. Wow, this thing could be THX certified! [​IMG] The VR series lets you adjust all channels independtly. It is not like the previous post says. You do however have to listen to the receiver's test tones when you calibrate. It doesn't allow you to adjust channel level without hearing the internal test tones. This is not a problem. Just ignore them and adjust the gain up or down according to what the SPL meter tells you to do. Other than that the Avia disc is pretty idiot proof. Thankfully in my case. [​IMG] Good Luck!

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

5. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Nick: The Kenwood VR-500 series DO let you adjust all channels independently.

Also the calibration disc will run test tones independent from the recievers test tones, you just have to run through the setup menu and adjust according to the calibration disc's tones instead of the receivers.

Your 509 will go pretty dang loud, louder than reference if need be.

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Vince: Yeah, I was under the impression he was asking how loud calibrating his system was coz he's gonna do it saturday night and he doesnt want to wake up his kids...

Oh, i didnt know about the VR5xx series, i have the VR407... :p)

7. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter