What's new

Calling all Kenwood VR-xxx Experts!! (1 Viewer)

John_E

Stunt Coordinator
My speaker stands are arriving tomorrow, and I plan to do my first calibration with an Avia/VE and a SPL meter. I have the VR-509 with 4 Atoms, a CC170 and a PDR-10. What Kenwood specific tips can you offer to make my life easier?

Also--how loud does it usually get? I was hoping to do it on Saturday night after my 20 month old son goes to bed.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
It usually gets up to 75dB... possibly 85dB...

I dunno bout the new VR recievers, but the older ones have a slight problem with them... You cannot adjust the front L and R channels by themselves (if you use VE or Avia), rather you have to adjust them in the recievers' own testtone calibration menu...

So what you do is calibrate the front L and R as close as possible to the 75dB reference level (85dB for AVIA), then calibrate the rest (CEnter, subwoofer, surrounds) from the calibration dVD

Jason Wolters

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Kenwood VR 507. If you are curious about how loud it will be, my volume setting is -30 for 75 db. Wow, this thing could be THX certified! :) The VR series lets you adjust all channels independtly. It is not like the previous post says. You do however have to listen to the receiver's test tones when you calibrate. It doesn't allow you to adjust channel level without hearing the internal test tones. This is not a problem. Just ignore them and adjust the gain up or down according to what the SPL meter tells you to do. Other than that the Avia disc is pretty idiot proof. Thankfully in my case. ;) Good Luck!

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
It usually gets up to 75dB... possibly 85dB...
That is a test tone volume- the actual program material maximum, on a ref level system would be 105db from any one channel (115 from sub)- with all channel coupled you could hit 120 pretty easily.

-Vince

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Nick: The Kenwood VR-500 series DO let you adjust all channels independently.

Also the calibration disc will run test tones independent from the recievers test tones, you just have to run through the setup menu and adjust according to the calibration disc's tones instead of the receivers.

Your 509 will go pretty dang loud, louder than reference if need be.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Vince: Yeah, I was under the impression he was asking how loud calibrating his system was coz he's gonna do it saturday night and he doesnt want to wake up his kids...

Oh, i didnt know about the VR5xx series, i have the VR407... :p)

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Oh, i didnt know about the VR5xx series, i have the VR407...
Nick, I also have the 407, and all channels can be adjusted separately. Surely you can adjust all your speakers individually. Our receivers are basically the same as the 507 minus DPL2 and DSP.

**EDIT** Oh I see what your saying, You run the test tones from Avia then note the SPL reading, then go into the receivers test tones and turn them up or down, then go back and run Avia again, note the reading, then keep going into the receivers test tones and adjust, keep doing this until you achieve the 75db, takes a little time but can be done easily enough, (I was lucky, my L&R were almost right on to begin with) then you can adust the others via the sound button on your remote.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks