What's new
World Wide Stereo

Calling all Guru's Looking for a new reciever (1 Viewer)

Razz2o4

Agent
Real Name
Josh Rasmussen
Hey guys, Looking at upgrading my TV and getting a new Sony 60" 3D TV. I am currently running a HK AVR354 running a set of Swan Diva 6.1's I am hoping to bump up in the power range as the HK seems to lack a little witht these speakers. Seems like they could use a litte extra oomph. My question is, I am looking for suggestions as far as either Recievers, or processors for my setup. Some of my needs would bascially just be 3D capeable. I am not opposed to going to a seperate system. IE Processor and amp setup vs an AIO reciever like I currently have. I know I would be able to get more power on a seperate setup. What do you guys have in mind?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
My recommendation, get a 2 channel external amp (i.e. the Emotiva UPA-2) for added power for your left/right channels and run video directly from your Blu-Ray player to your TV for 3D. Of course, if you have $700 burning a hole in your pocket and you must have HDMI 1.4a, any of the offerings from Marantz, Denon, Pioneer, Onkyo, and Yamaha in this price range will meet your needs. Personally, I"d go the Emotiva route and keep the HK as a pre-pro (you have 7.1 pre-outs). JB

Razz2o4

Agent
Real Name
Josh Rasmussen
I will be using a PS3 for my BR player, so i take it (since the PS3 does not have dual HDMI outs) that i would need to run HDMI to the tv and an Optic's cable to the reciever?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Apparently Swan Diva 6.1's like good, clean power so as John Brill mentioned, I would also go with a seperate two channel amp for the fronts. To get a receiver that would drive them much better then the 354 you would need to go top-end, maybe $1200+? Get the amp. Also pick up a Marantz 5005 (new for $399!) http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR5005A/MARANTZ-SR5005-100w-X-7ch-3-D-Home-Theater-Surround-Receiver/1.html Or an H/K 2600 from Amazon for $389 (a firmware up-grade is needed for 3D). http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002IKKFU0/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new Using an optical cable for audio means you forfeit TrueHD and Master Audio. Un-acceptable. Maybe an HDMI splitter? Not sure how well something like that would work. Go for the new receiver and a good two channel amp. You will be happier in the long run. You only mentioned the 6.1's. What else you got? I have 5.1's, a C3 and 2.1's for surrounds. Very nice little setup for $1300 shipped a few years ago. I also have a pair of Swan F3B-F's. Wonderfull sounding speakers. The best I've ever owned anyways (not that that's saying much :rolleyes: ). Not sure what I'm going to do with them. Way to much speaker for me. Built like a tank. 28"s tall, 70 lbs!

Razz2o4

Agent
Real Name
Josh Rasmussen
I am running Bose Cubes for Center, and rear (can't wait to throw them away) and hopfully upgrading to a C3 soon with the rear surrounds as well. I thought about looking at Outlaw audio, but they have not yet gone 3D. They have a Pre/Pro that is 3D it just has not been released. I am just wondering who else has it available. I would love to do an Emotiva setup, but there processor is not 3D

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
"I am running Bose Cubes for Center, and rear" Now I'm sorry I asked! :) If you do decide to go Swan for the surrounds don't get the R2's. They don't have a tweeter :confused: , just two 4" mid-ranges. They only go to 8000hz, not 20,000 as claimed. But you could add the top mounted tweeter and a simple two-way crossover. The R3's use the same tweeters as the C3. Supposedly simular to the top mount tweeter but I have my doubts. We've been waiting for something new from Outlaw for what, Three years now? I think most of their customers have moved on. If you want to go the processor route then Onkyo/Integra seems to be the performance/value leader. I had an Integra 9.8 a couple of years ago, bought used off of Audiogon. Very nice unit. A new one would cost more than a good receiver-two channel amp though. Add the 5 channel amp and your way over $2000. I'm using an old Pioneer Elite vsx-23txh to power mine and it's fine for me. I can't crank it up anyway :( . That's why I went with the 5.1's instead of the 6.1's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks