What's new

Calibrate speakers based on tones from processor or AVIA? (1 Viewer)

Simon Ngan

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder which one would be more accurate. I do like the AVIA subwoofer calibration though but it usually makes me mad because I can never get them all well-balanced.

Also, the processor I have - Primare P31.7 has a mic input so it can calibrate on its own, however, I don't know what type of microphone I should use? I borrowed a mic from friend of mine few weeks back but the result was way off from my ears and SPL meter.

Thanks,

Simon

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I think conventional wisdom says to calibrate it based on the disc, so you're testing and calibrating through the entire chain starting right at the source.

What I do is start by calibrating using receiver's test-tones, since it's easy to do, and then double-check my calibrations using the Avia disc.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Based on my personal experience, there was never a lot of difference between the internal tones of, a) Sony TA-E9000ES, b) Outlaw 950, and, c) Lexicon MC-8 and Avia. I always stuck with Avia for the final determination. Same reason: we play DVDs and Avia is a DVD source. Takes into account any and all signal path differences from the player to the speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks