Calibrate speakers based on tones from processor or AVIA?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Simon Ngan, Jul 4, 2003.

1. Simon Ngan

Simon Ngan Stunt Coordinator

I wonder which one would be more accurate. I do like the AVIA subwoofer calibration though but it usually makes me mad because I can never get them all well-balanced.

Also, the processor I have - Primare P31.7 has a mic input so it can calibrate on its own, however, I don't know what type of microphone I should use? I borrowed a mic from friend of mine few weeks back but the result was way off from my ears and SPL meter.

Thanks,

Simon

2. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    I think conventional wisdom says to calibrate it based on the disc, so you're testing and calibrating through the entire chain starting right at the source.

What I do is start by calibrating using receiver's test-tones, since it's easy to do, and then double-check my calibrations using the Avia disc.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Based on my personal experience, there was never a lot of difference between the internal tones of, a) Sony TA-E9000ES, b) Outlaw 950, and, c) Lexicon MC-8 and Avia. I always stuck with Avia for the final determination. Same reason: we play DVDs and Avia is a DVD source. Takes into account any and all signal path differences from the player to the speakers.