1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Calibrate speakers based on tones from processor or AVIA?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Simon Ngan, Jul 4, 2003.

1. Simon Ngan

Simon Ngan Stunt Coordinator

I wonder which one would be more accurate. I do like the AVIA subwoofer calibration though but it usually makes me mad because I can never get them all well-balanced.

Also, the processor I have - Primare P31.7 has a mic input so it can calibrate on its own, however, I don't know what type of microphone I should use? I borrowed a mic from friend of mine few weeks back but the result was way off from my ears and SPL meter.

Thanks,

Simon

2. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    I think conventional wisdom says to calibrate it based on the disc, so you're testing and calibrating through the entire chain starting right at the source.

What I do is start by calibrating using receiver's test-tones, since it's easy to do, and then double-check my calibrations using the Avia disc.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Based on my personal experience, there was never a lot of difference between the internal tones of, a) Sony TA-E9000ES, b) Outlaw 950, and, c) Lexicon MC-8 and Avia. I always stuck with Avia for the final determination. Same reason: we play DVDs and Avia is a DVD source. Takes into account any and all signal path differences from the player to the speakers.