What's new

Cablevision (Westchester NY) and HDTV (1 Viewer)

JohnDPug

Grip
Newbie question. I've got a new HD ready TV and Cablevision TV service (not OptimumTV). Now I know Cablevision doesn't offer digital cable nor broadband in my neighborhood (southern Westchester) but do they have any programming in HDTV?

I have a feeling the answer is no. I'm 15 miles from the center of the universe (NYC) and friends in rural Georgia have better access to broadband, HDTV and digital cable. Geez.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
John, welcome to the forum. I have mentioned this in several posts before but I have to offer my testimony whenever possible. If you can still get out of your cable deal, do it. Go with Dishnetwork or DirecTV. I used to stick it out with cable for the longest time because I thought I couldn't afford the dish. I now end up paying way less for much more service after switching to Dishnetwork. This way you can get your HDTV with all programs broadcast in that format. I would assume that you probably will not be able to get a digital signal from an anolog source if you stick with Cablevision.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
John:

Does CV have HD programming? Yes.

Is it for sale? No. Not at this time.

Optimum online is offered on most parts of LI. Within select areas, three stealth HD channels (HBO/FSN/MSG) are loaded onto the system for the purpose of distribution to The Wiz, their electronics stores. They also just mapped NBC to MSG for HD Olympics.

All you need is a standard HD OTA decoder. I guess a subscribtion will be offered down the road, but a special CV decoder will most likely be needed.

If HD is your thing, CBS (OTA) is the one & only right now. An ABC affiliate WTNH (VHF-10 New Haven), will boost their power by summer and might work for you. NBC (west of Hartford) needs a tower. You would need a decent amplified combo (VHF/UHF) antenna on a rotor to deal with all that.

Otherwise, Direct and/or Dish (they are merging) could give you various HD options.

JohnDPug

Grip
Tommy G....Thanks...I've been wrestling with the DBS v. Cable decision for a while. Reasons I haven't gone to DBS are:
  1. Cablevision has local/OTA channels which I like and are not available on DBS.
  2. I don't have any premium channels so my cable bill is pretty low/competitive with DBS.
  3. I want a service package bundled with broadband.[/list=1]

I've been lurking in the DBS forums. There are tons of threads about how poor the picture quality is for some people with their DBS. It concerns me and keeps me away from DBS.

Picture quality has become an issue recently thanks to my new KV40-XBR700. When you put poor broadcast quality on this set, you really notice (WNBC Olympic hockey was unbelievably clear, ESPN Hockey Night makes me think I need glasses).

As you can tell from my original post, I'm not thrilled with Cablevision and certainly will be less so if the Yankee games on YES are not carried or carried as a premium so DBS with HD capability is getting more attractive for me but it still doesn't fill my wish list enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks