Cable Dilema - svideo vs component

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by phill clarke, Apr 30, 2002.

1. phill clarke

phill clarke Auditioning

Mar 19, 2002
    I've got a small cabling issue with my 27" tv, Panasonic CT-27D21. The unit has 1 component and 1 s-video which are switchable, meaning one works or the other works. I've been using component from the DVD player but I'm moving to a new location where I'll be using DirectTV. The DirecTV is not HD format since I can't afford it currently. The DirecTV unit has a S-Video out which I'd like to use, but this is where the problem is. I do have the ability to do s-video switching through my receiver, but not component. So here's where I need the help...

Do I ditch the component DVD solution and run all S-Video through the receiver switching?

Would there be a noticeable difference on this since I only have a 27" TV?

Should I keep the DVD on component and just run the DirecTV through standard video cables(composite?)

Does DirecTV really gain anything by running S-Video?

Sorry if this was a little long...

I appreciate any help with this

Phill Clarke
  2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Mar 29, 2000
    There is a long thread in sources named 'Digital cable box' that answers your questions.

BTW i bought a DirectTv Sony HD100 for the sony outlet in Tracy for around $500. You might want to check there when you do upgrade