What's new

bypass headphone jack onkyo 313 (1 Viewer)

VATKINSON

Auditioning
Real Name
vance atkinson
If I insert the jack into the headphone plug it cuts off the surround sound speakers (normal) and now I hear stereo only (normal) thru my hearing aids. I want speaker sound and hearing aid sound together. QUESTION : If I disable the cutout feature, willit work ? New TV ...no headphone jacks.

I get speaker and hearing aid sound on satillite and DVD Using ARC connection cable but when streaming I have to choose between speaker and hearing aids.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Hi Vance,

This is actually a hard electronic switch that you can't defeat easily. The best way to solve this is to hook up a basic headphone amplifier to your stereo Zone 2 or Zone 3 outputs on the back of the Onkyo:

1592430094514.png

This can work at the same time as your speakers, and has independent volume control.

VATKINSON

Auditioning
Real Name
vance atkinson
Thanks for the information. Unfortunately I have a 313 model and it has NO zone 2 or 3. I guess thats one of the updates Onkyo made a little later.

Any other suggestions for fixes? I may be looking for a good used 616 model on Ebay. By the way does that mean zone 2 and 3 are hot all the time? They just require hooking up to the headset or speakers..... If I did have the zones the wiring output would go into a bluetooth transmitter, and the transmitter broadcasts to my hearing aids

ONKYO diagram.jpg

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Thanks for the information. Unfortunately I have a 313 model and it has NO zone 2 or 3. I guess thats one of the updates Onkyo made a little later.

Any other suggestions for fixes? I may be looking for a good used 616 model on Ebay. By the way does that mean zone 2 and 3 are hot all the time? They just require hooking up to the headset or speakers..... If I did have the zones the wiring output would go into a bluetooth transmitter, and the transmitter broadcasts to my hearing aids

View attachment 74287
Does your unit have a stereo output on the front panel? That would work too

VATKINSON

Auditioning
Real Name
vance atkinson
There are 3 jacks on the R/side of the unit labeled AUX AUDIO AND VIDEO IN.... for hooking up a camera, phone etc...
Vance

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
There are 3 jacks on the R/side of the unit labeled AUX AUDIO AND VIDEO IN.... for hooking up a camera, phone etc...
Vance
Okay we have one more potential solution, does your TV have a stereo output on the back? If it has red and white stereo output jacks those would work for this as well

VATKINSON

Auditioning
Real Name
vance atkinson
Sorry no TV Jacks, which I had checked first when I got the unit. I also felt all around the edges thinking they might of hidden one there. As a final ck I contacted Samsung
and they confirmed, NO JACKs.

They suggested an optical interface. The problem with an optical output is I have to flip the TVs internal switch to optical and thus lose the ARC HDMI connection from the TV to amp, thus losing the speaker sounds.

I've pretty much suspected I would have to upgrade to a newer audio amp from the start and retire my 313 which still works perfectly. sniff......

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Sorry no TV Jacks, which I had checked first when I got the unit. I also felt all around the edges thinking they might of hidden one there. As a final ck I contacted Samsung
and they confirmed, NO JACKs.

They suggested an optical interface. The problem with an optical output is I have to flip the TVs internal switch to optical and thus lose the ARC HDMI connection from the TV to amp, thus losing the speaker sounds.

I've pretty much suspected I would have to upgrade to a newer audio amp from the start and retire my 313 which still works perfectly. sniff......

There is an alternative that should work for you.

This can sit between your receiver's HDMI output and the TV. You just need a cable like this to connect that to the headphone amp:

If that won't work and you do decide to replace your receiver, here is my recommendation for an affordable unit with a second zone:

You could also look at newer units, but the refurbs are generally a good choice. If willing to buy used/second hand there are some good options also on USAudioMart and eBay:

VATKINSON

Auditioning
Real Name
vance atkinson
thank you for all your help and information, especially the audio mart. I have located a Onkyo TX737 here in Dallas for $250. It seems to have everything I need. Will let you know the results.
V.ATKINSON

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What about a tape output with the original headphone amp you suggested @Dave Upton ? Do low end receivers still have those?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
...simultaneous post. A newer receiver is probably the best option anyway. Do Zone 2 outputs work with an ARC source? I've never used ARC, but I'd suspect they don't.

VATKINSON

Auditioning
Real Name
vance atkinson
YOU ARE CORRECT... I looked up the 737 manual and it states when using ARC HDMI the zones are inop. I am using ARC and I have to use ARC to make the surround sound speaker preform. So now I am looking at the previous mentioned audio extractor.

Thank you for bringing the ARC cabling to my attention !
vatkinson

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks