What's new

Buying Sony ES from Internet....pros/cons/experiences? (1 Viewer)

Dan Kolacz

Stunt Coordinator
I just got a nice price quote for a Sony DA5ES from Oade Brothers.

Anyone have any experiences from this company?

My main concerns are as follows:

1. What would happen if the unit is DOA

2. How does Sony feel about buying ES from the internet?

3. Can I bring this unit to any local authorized Sony dealer for service under the 5 year warranty?

Thanks for any help

Chuck Frady

Second Unit
Patty,

Oades are the best people around. They are very trustworthy, reliable, and very willing to help in the event something goes wrong. I purchased several items from Jim at Oade.com. Never had a problem. They ship fast and the shipping charges are damn reasonable. They always double box.

Oades is suppose to be an authorized Sony ES Etailer. Not just Crutchfield. Oades moves alot of Sony ES inventory. I've never read a negative thing about them.

750 shipped for the 5es and 550 shipped for the 3es sure as hell beats what the local brick and mortar are wanting for these receivers.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Regardless of where you buy Sony, the warranty is still good, as long as you have a receipt. I just bought an open box DVD, basically brand new, just with no box (NS300) for $97. Someone bought it, found out it didn't have some feature they wanted, and exchanged it for a different one, so it had basically never been used. I asked the guy if they would still warranty it, and he told me it was under 1yr factory warranty regardless.

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
I just Ordered (Thursday night) from OneCall this same receiver and got it Monday morning (super fast Fedex shipping to California). I did get a great quote from Oades as well but I think it would have taken longer coming from Florida to get to me.

Good luck.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
You shouldn't have any problems with Oade. I've loved dealing with them and will continue to do so in the future.

Chuck Frady

Second Unit
Hey wait a minute.

Another chuckf in the state of washington?

is this guy for real or someone spoofing me?

speak up man.!!!

do me a favor and change your user id to MikeF or Mike Frantz. ( your real name )

Roderick S

Auditioning
I have a Sony DA50ES receiver and I'm thankful for the warranty. It has been in the shop 3 times. It is currently in the shop due to overheating. It has been there for almost 3 months.

Its nice to offer a long warranty but I'm not sure if its enough for me to buy another Sony audio product....

Phil Rose

Agent
I've had several dealings with Oade and every one has been positive. My first, was a TA-E9000ES that arrived DOA, thanks to UPS, and they exchanged it without question. Also, I've had my DVP-S7700 in for upgrade at Sony service and never had any issue with Oade as the seller. Sony just looked at the bill of sale and reworked the unit.

Buy with confidence from Oade.

Hank_P

Second Unit
No problems here. I purchased an ES receiver from OneCall (authorized dealer) and have had some work done on it under warranty without a problem at all. Made me feel really good and wouldn't hesitate making my next purchase from them or Oade Bros.

Good luck ..as both with price match with ANY authorized dealer.

davepr

Stunt Coordinator
IMHO, If I am buying Sony, I am buy it from Oade Bros. Their are prices and service are hard to top. I have made serveral purchases and my only problem was with a DVD player. Because it was operational, they agreed to send me a replacement before I returned the old one. That way I had no down time...

Dave

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Something to bear in mind about Oade Bros. is that they charge a restocking fee if you want to return an item because you dissatisfied with it (i.e., not defective, but not satisfactory). By contrast, J&R Music World has a 30-day full money-back guarantee. J&R will often match Oade Bros.' prices and will even beat them at times. For example, a few people here, myself included, have gotten J&R to go down from $600 to $550 for the Sony SCD-C555ES SACD changer, while it has been said that Oade Bros. is firm at $600. In any event, I prefer to buy from J&R because they have no restocking fee. I have ordered from Oade Bros. twice and had no problems either time, but I had researched the items thoroughly beforehand and knew I would be happy with them.

Phil Rose

Agent
Interesting. I tried a TA-N9000ES from Oade and returned it without a restocking fee. All I had to do was pay shipping both ways. But, that was in 1999 and maybe the times have changed.

YMMV

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Phil, I find your story interesting too, as I have never heard of Oade Bros. not charging a restocking fee. As you said, maybe things have changed. It could be that they were losing money on returned items, so they started charging a restocking fee to recoup some of those losses.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
OADES is an authorized dealer, but I think 6th ave pays the shipping????? Another fine dealer.JR does also! I have never returned a product that worked. If it works it's mine forever.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's better than Onecall who won't refund your money at all, you get the option of swapping out DOA items with another one, or a different model.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
To me, I think thats too liberal a return policy. If it works, its yours. If its broke, they should either swap it out for free/or upgrade or arrange for the manufacturer to swap it out for free. That way its really new when you buy it or its a reman.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hello Patti Clark

From what others are saying the online etailer seems to be on the up and up. I have no personal experiance with them but offer the following. The things you want to think about is if the unit is DOA or developes problems. You will have to ether box it up and ship it back to them or to a repair shop. If you go to the right dealer they might match the deal you can get online and you can jump in you car and take it right back to them for repair. The only questions I would ask myself is that can I get this price anywhere else ? And if the product fails or is DOA what hassel do I have to go thru to get it repaired ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks