Buying new speakers or home theater system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by HowardPM, Aug 18, 2002.

1. HowardPM

HowardPM Agent

Howard
    Right now I got a really junky Kenwood hometheater system, not really upgradeable because of how you have to plug the speakers into the sub, then into the receiver, so I'm doing some shopping for a new one, hopefully around 500 watts and has DTS, but I can't really afford to pay more then 450, (ya I know it wont be great) but better then what I got. So if anyone knows a really good but cheap theater in a box let me know. I was also looking at buying these speakers the Onkyo SKSHT500 if you go to http://www.shoponkyo.com/products.cfm?id=8 you can see them, Circut city has them for 249 dollars, then I figure I'd buy a cheap receiever.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

2. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

The reason you need to hook your speakers up that was is that the sub isn't powered. What receiver do you already have?
    You can get this: http://www.htdaudio.com/leveltwo51set.html for $500+actual shipping which will upgrade all the speakers, give you a powered sub-woofer and all your speakers will be timbre matched.

3. HowardPM

HowardPM Agent

Howard
    Its just the receiver that game with my theater in a box, Its the Kenwood VR-406

4. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

That's a fine low-end receiver. You would defiantley be best served with a speaker (and powered sub) upgrade better than the receiver upgrade you listed above.

5. HowardPM

HowardPM Agent

Howard
    Thanks for the information. One other thing, if I get new speakers and keep my old kenwood receiever (which I don't think is so great) won't it defeat the purpose of having good speakers, if it can't handle them.

6. Phil_Lunar

Phil_Lunar Stunt Coordinator