What's new

Buy New DishPVR721 & Sell My 6000 Receiver? Is This Crazy? (1 Viewer)

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
For the last couple of months I have been waiting for the PVR721 to be released. Right now www.dishdepot.com has a limited supply of 721's available with a 2 week delivery time. When I called Dishdepot asking about the PVR721 and mentioned that I would be selling my 6000. He said, "Why would you do something like that! The 6000 is the best receiver that Dish Network has every put out"
This now has gotten me to think about my purchase decision. Should I keep my 6000? The reason I don't mind selling my 6000 is for a couple of reasons.
1. Limited HDTV programming for me. I only subscribe to HBO so currently I have HBOHD. I did buy the 8VSB but only had a indoor OTA up for a couple of months which I unhooked since I was getting a weak signal and never got around mounting an outdoor antenna.
2. My work schedule requires me to work late some nights so even if I did have an OTA I would miss all the prime time locals.
3. Selling the 6000 and getting the 721 would give me the option of also selling my JVC SVHS VCR. But, I might keep it to archive off of the 721.
4. I would be able to record and playback Dolby Digital 5.1 using the 721, which of course the 6000 cannot do. I think this is a really cool feature.
I do like that there is now more HDTV programming coming, ie Discovery HD. I was a little shocked with the price for just 1 channel. But I'm glad HDTV is still coming.
Anyway am I nuts like the DishDepot man said by selling my 6000 for the 721?

Greg Haynes

Supporting Actor
Does anybody know when the 921 will be come available? The 921 is supposed to be the same as the 721 but with the ability to record HDTV.

Jeff O.

Stunt Coordinator
Greg,
I don't know whether you are crazy or not, but I am wrestling with the idea of doing nearly the opposite, replace a 501 with the 6000. I would love to check out high-def on my system, but I am just not sure if there is enough programming right now to warrant the switch and the price(I would hate to give up the PVR function of the 501). Why are you waiting for the 721, do you need the dual tuners? If all you want to do is use it to record programs, the 501 can be had a lot cheaper. Anyway, if you decide to sell the 6000, let me know.
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks