What's new

Buy Kenwood VR-5900 over Denon AVR-5800 am I nuts? (1 Viewer)

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
really said:
Comparing a 1998 product with the 2001 (especially with Kenwood) really isn't a valid comparison. Kenwood seems to really be trying to make a new name for themselves in the home A/V arena.
It was a known fact that the 2xxx series of Kenwood receivers were problem plauged. More folks had defective units than had properly working units (or so it seemed).
Even the 1999 models were really lacking in quality (I had a defective 3080), but it seems between '99 and '00 they really started to turn things around. My 4080 is supposed to be the "same" unit as the 3080, but there's a night and day difference in the performance and the build quality between the two.
Not knocking Denon. They've been a solid performer for quite some time....but I don't think you can really go wrong with either unit.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Hi Alex it's me again :)
I would suggest the B&K over both and even the high end Onkyo for that matter and its mainly due to the sound and flexible crossover.
All 3 are great units but I would definitely pass on the Denon given the chance if you can get the B&K at the right price. Ask Obi why he went with the B&K over The Onkyo and the Denon(whom his good friend Chris Maynard has one).

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
"Too....how many of us really get into the 110 - 140 watt (all channels driven) listening range. I doubt anyone would ever find this to be a factor with the unit in their home."
I agree with this to an extent...however, it's what seperates the men from the boys (figuratively) during those dynamic passages of movies....massive explosions, SFX, etc. that you will notice the difference. Also, this measurement is taken on a 7channel receiver compared to a 5 channel....if the Denon is only using the front two, it'll perform without distortion or clipping up to 200 watts and beyond....invaluable for 2 channel music listening.
More true statements....if your looking at receivers in this price range, don't neglect the B&K 307 or the Onkyo 989 (has DPLII and DTS-ES discreet upgrade available for $50!). I would also take a look at the Denon 4802 as mentioned earlier. I would venture to guess that it's numbers will be very comparable to those of the Kenwood wattage wise...as it's rated 125x7 (?), I think that is correct and it has all of the features you mention including DPLII.
I don't think we've heard from our initial poster in a while :)
Jeremy

Alex Yang

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jeremy,
You're hearing from me buddy!! :)
I've looked at the Onkyo 989 and the Yamaha RX-V1 as well. For a good long LONG while now, I've been debating between the B&K and DENON and just as I was about to make my choice for the DENON 5800 along comes Kenwood with the Soveriegn VR-5900...
I just wanted to get an opinion to see if the Kenwood is indeed in the same class as the Denon, the price tag alone would put it up there, but since it is ONLY 5 power amps as opposed to 7, and it only has ONE 6 channel input DENON's got TWO (2) 8 channel input, I think I'm back in the DENON camp...
Thank you all for the wonderful posts and info... :)
-Alex
PS. I dropped the ONKYO because of the 989 shutting down when driving certain speakers at reference level (courtesy of www.audioreview.com) and it was with MORE than one person out of just over 100 posts, while the DENON review had a LOT more reviews and NEVER ONCE did anyone complain that this receiver even shut down once... My money is practically on the Denon, well ok maybe B&K REF30 preamp (B&K AV307, just doesn't have enough bells and whistles to make me change over...)

phil-w

Stunt Coordinator
I have examined the specs on Kenwood's site and see no mention of DPL2. I see a reference to "Dolby 3 Stereo" but even from the description it does not sound like DPL2.
This is a Very important feature to me because I have already experienced DPL2 and now I can't live without it. It is really great for TV shows and DPL movies. So good in fact that I don't avoid older DPL movies in favor of DD ones.
Also, does anyone have a link to a picture of the Remote control?? These could be good or bad depending on how it is designed.

Alex Yang

Stunt Coordinator
Phil,
Not to worry it has DPLII read the review in the latest issue of Sound and Vision to see the unit up close and the sweet looking remote... Also be sure you are looking at the correct model... The flagship model is VR-5900 and is retailing for $3000, and DOES have DPLII
-Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks