1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Buy Kenwood VR-5900 over Denon AVR-5800 am I nuts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alex Yang, Aug 23, 2001.

1. Alex Yang

Alex Yang Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,
    Many of you know that I've been shopping around for the last month on a HIGH end receiver... My final selection would have been the Denon AVR-5800 but then I found out about the Kenwood VR-5900...
    My guts, instincts, and experience ALL tells me that I should stick with DENON, but LUST is in the air for the Kenwood VR-5900, ESPECIALLY since ALL the 6.1 formats are included and DPLII... Let's not forget about the RF/IR remote that's BI-Directional and dare I say "intelligent"?
    Someone anybody break this spell... [​IMG]
    thanks in advance,
    -Alex

2. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

Isn't the 5900 one with a touch screen remote? Do you like touch screen remotes?
    I do like the idea of the RF remote though. With my 510's RF remote it's quite useful when I play music, because I don't always sit in line of sight of the receiver.
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
    Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i think both receivers are nice, but, personally, i would stick with the denon.
    i guess it depends on what you're looking for.
    i know the kenwood has more bells & whistles, but i believe the denon will perform better and, to me personally, performance is more important than the fluff.
    again, that's just my own opinion. i do think both brands make good products.
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

4. Alex Yang

Thank you ONE and ALL for your replies! What a tough decision... [​IMG]
    *sigh*
    I'll have to think and chew for a little while longer, if ONLY Denon would come out with the DPLII & Bass Management... or come out with a DEFINATIVE answer on what they are planning on doing with the UPGRADE
    It would make my decision so much easier... [​IMG]
    -Alex

5. Eugene Hsieh

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i do agree with eugene...at low levels, there's probably not much of a 'real-world' difference.
    that being said...
    i used to work at gg (audio dept) and had plenty of time to audition the different stuff. i (along with the other guys) almost always found that the denons had more "oomph" (howz that for a technical term [​IMG] ) than the other receivers. especially when we pushed them. that, to me, was very important. it just told me that it had the headroom, if necessary.
    of course, how precise can you really be with a bunch of goofy guys trying to do a scientific test inside the sound room? not very...that's for sure. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

7. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

The Denon also has a touchscreen remote capable of RF/IR transmission.
    The Denon has 7 amps where the Kenwood only has 5, you must add a 2 channel amp to utilize the 6.1 formats (or 7ch)...ouch.
    The amplifiers in the Denon are a bit more powerful, they will clip at about 140watts all channel driven. The Kenwood clips at just over 100 watts. See the review in this month's Sound and Vision.
    The choice is yours, but the specs go to the Denon, IMO.
    Pick up the review this month and see what you think.
    Jeremy

8. Jeremy Hegna

Forgot to mention, After reading the review, there is nothing that the Kenwood has that the Denon doesn't format-wise. The Denon has the same bells and whistles as the Kenwood except DPLII.
    Neither has flexible bass management, BTW. However, Denon's possible upgrade will likely incorporate this feature as well as DPLII.
    Just to clear some things up a bit for those of you that assume the Kenwood is a 5800 destroyer.
    Jeremy

9. Alex Yang

Jeremy,
    I read the review about the Kenwood in the latest issue of Sound and Vision, hence the reason for this thread...
    I liked the Kenwood because it already has the DPLII and DTS Discrete, I wasn't happy about the 5 channel amp... [​IMG]
    Spec wise I do agree that the DENON is better but the Kenwood is here and available now and can be had for about 1850 and change (courtesy of another thread here in Hometheater at http://www.ecost.com)...))

10. Jeremy Hegna

Gosh Alex, I suppose if DPLII is that important to you right now....
    Add to the cost the price of a 2 channel amp and it's going to put you right next to the 5800's street value. If the DPLII upgrade is next month, you're going to kick yourself [​IMG]
    The 5800 has several more inputs/outputs as well.
    Believe me, I'm not anti-Kenwood...I got into this hobby with a Kenwood HTB. I was really excited to read the review...but that vanished when I saw where the amps were clipping. For a THX-U rated amplifier...the specs were a bit on the dismal side, I'm sure you agree. Also, without the 6th and 7th channels of amplification...you have to buy another piece and more interconnects to take advantage of 6.1.
    DPLII is a tempting ability to have on one's unit, but not at the expense of the important things....the sound, the power, the build, the connectivity, etc. IMHO.
    I do like the Aktis remote that comes with the Denon. It's a bit on the bulky side, like the Kenwood, but very easy to use....and learn other pieces of equipment (mine controls everything.)
    I just wanted to clear up some discrepencies I saw noted earlier in the thread. If I were you, I'd listen to both and go from there....It's your ears that must decide.
    Jeremy

11. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

Alex
    I have the 4090 and love it. i brought the Denon's home and tried them. All of them were decent. The Kenwood sounded better to me than the 3801. The 4800 and 5800 sounded slightly better but the $$$ difference made it an easy choice.
    I would have picked the Kenwood 4900 but I wanted a black receiver and there just are not many differences including the sound.
    The 5900 has added a lot of features and if it had been out last year I would have gone that way.
    The universal video conversion kicks butt and it decodes HDCD.
    I think the general thought on the forum would be Denon and i can't argue that but I didn't see the $$$ difference.
    Just my opinion.
    ------------------
    The Mischievous Rogue Strikes Again! The Humble Hanson Theater
    [Edited last by Doug_H on August 23, 2001 at 07:14 PM]

12. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Well I am also in the market for a new receiver. And for the price that Kenwood looks sweet. The whole Sovereign line looks sweet. Have you seen the DV-5700 dvd player? Looking for some reviews on that piece.
    ------------------
    "I'm your Huckelberry"

13. Jeremy Hegna

Guys,
    Maybe you should look into the Denon 4802. Check denon.com for the information. DPLII, flexible bass management, THX post processing, 7 amps, touchscreen remote....and I'll bet that it's street value is right around $2k. It should be out soon.
    Jeremy

14. Scott O'Keeffe

Scott O'Keeffe Stunt Coordinator

To be honest, I think you are a little "nuts".
    But, who am I to say? You have to purchase what makes you happy.
    Maybe I'm just pissed because both my Kenwood VR-2080's went up in flames. [​IMG] Of course, this is a lower end unit compared to the 5900.
    I'd have to agree, though, that sacrificing channels of amplification and lack of power for the sake of DPLII is probably not the best move at this point.
    Again, just my opinion.
    You'll be happy either way...

15. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

Another great feature you get with the Denon 5800 is the built in RF-Demodulator which allows the AC-3 playback of Laserdiscs...Can't beat that. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Trevor..[​IMG]
    My HomeTheater S.E. Sonically Enhanced
    Updated new pictures!

16. Eugene Hsieh

After having DPLII for a while, I consider it a make-or-break feature. That said, the Denon may get it later with an upgrade.
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
    Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.

17. Jeremy Hegna

There is also two!! (8) channel analog pass-through inputs on the 5800 for future formats....SACD and DVD-Audio included [​IMG]
    With the Kenwood...only one (6) channel analog pass-through.
    But I guess....at least you've got it.
    Seriously, I just re-read the article and the piece does look good...on the other hand, the performance of the unit, the build of the unit (38lbs vs. almost 70 for the 5800), the connectivity, even the remote control losing track of settings complaint all are things to take into consideration. Have you gotten a chance to listen to one?
    Keep us posted on your findings.
    Jeremy

18. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I thought i read the 5800 weighed in at 62 pounds... Back in March, when i was receiver shopping. I'd go with the Dennon. Of course, i ended up with a B&K 307, a mear 55 pnds. [​IMG]
    - Chip
    ------------------

19. Alex Yang

Chip,
    Can I ask you a quick question? Why did you change your mind from a Denon 5800 to B&K 307? Any regrets?
    -Alex

20. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Hey Alex, sure... I went with the B&K simply because i like the way it sounded compared to the Denon 5800. Don't get me wrong, it was close. I'm sure i would've been happy with either but, in the end, for music & HT, the B&K won me over. I have no regrets... There both great receivers.
    - Chip
    ------------------