Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid - grab your Collectors Edition NOW!!!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Seth.H, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Seth.H

Seth.H Agent

This was the movie my girlfriend (now wife) and I saw on our second date so many years ago [​IMG] So we decided to invest in Fox's new region 1 two disc set. I had never really known Redford and Newman I only started taking a liking to after The Hustler was released in 1961.

My copy of Butch and Sundance arrived yesterday and let me tell you all - it was worth every penny - and more!!! Along with The Towering Inferno, this is one of Fox's finest and best value releases for 2006. The best part was the 2005 documentary with very current interviews from both Redford and Newman. Only sad part was seeing Fast Eddie Felson and Hud look and sound so frail - but the cheeky glint was still in those blue eyes. [​IMG]

The deleted scene was special. And in retrospect, it was probably best to have it taken out. Still, it was wonderful to see what might have been.

The two docos on The Wild Bunch and History Vs Hollywood were very indepth and fantastic to watch. Excellent inclusions.

As for the the 2004 interviews, the contradictions of opinion are very funny. (I hadn't seen the former release DVD of 2001)

The commentaries were interesting as well. Wonderful to hear from Conrad Hall before his passing a while back. If I recall correctly, he did the cinematography for Harper? I could be wrong. But I forget what a magnificent job he carried out.

All in all, a DVD packed with extras and a ton of memories of a movie that will never die in the hearts and minds of movie lovers everywhere. A must for everyone's DVD collection. I dont thnk I have seen a cast reminisce so fondly about any movie before.

Sorry the review isnt very good - but an old codger like me is still very much behind the times (we still have our Beta VCR [​IMG] )

2. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Fox has been doing an absolute outstanding job with many
    of their recent 2-disc reissues.

Normally I hate these studios constantly ask us to double-dip
    on reissues that are no better than the original release. At least
    Fox gives us something worthwhile.

Bravo!

3. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

Ron,

Hear, hear. Fox has done a magnificent job with their Cinema Classics line. If only they still controlled the rights to the original Star Wars. *sob*

4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Gee whiz. I've got the earlier release and figured I was all set.

Now...a deleted scene?!?!...new documentaries including Redford & Newman....
    I don't know........

Help! [​IMG]

5. Michael Boyd

Michael Boyd Second Unit

Are the extras from the original ported over? I know there wasn't much, but I remember a Burt Bacharach interview.

6. Ira Siegel

Ira Siegel Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the review, Seth. Now I WILL buy this!

7. Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear Screenwriter

Just like the PATTON: Cinema Classics Collection before it, BUTCH CASSIDY isn't listed in Target's, Best Buy's nor Circuit City's forthcoming Sunday ad so (as I found in the case of PATTON) it'll likely only be available at Wal-Mart and Costco. Be aware...

8. Brent Avery

Brent Avery Supporting Actor

After comparing scenes from the earlier release and the latest 2 disc there is a slight improvement from what I could discern - it appears to be a bit sharper overall. So that is a bit of a bonus beyond the additional new features.

9. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

re: " ..... a movie that will never die in the hearts and minds of movie lovers everywhere"

Seth, normally, I try to avoid "thread farting" but I as a dyed in the wool movie lover (or fanatic as my friends refer to me), I resent your making such a generalization about the REST of us movie lovers. Butch Cassidy was sheer torture to sit through as I watched it in 1969 and as I staggered out into the noonday sun, I could have almost fallen on my knees (if I were a religious man) and thanked Jesus that the punishment was over. Granted, my feelings toward BC&TSK may be in the minority but, trust me, I am not alone among fellow movie lovers in my antipathy towards this film.

That being said, I'm happy you're happy with the set.

10. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

Well said!

11. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

When someone says movie lovers everywhere, it's not being implied that this means ALL movie lovers, just a huge number all over the world. And that's certainly true for Butch Cassidy, and your opinion, while perfectly valid, is certainly inappropriate in a thread devoted to how great a new dvd of this classic is.

12. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Let's calm down with the inappropriate posts. There is absolutely no need to ratchet up this disagreement.

Anyhow, I can't wait to see my dvd of this wonderful film. My experience back in 69, was completely different than Thomas's.[​IMG]

Crawdaddy

13. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid, a hugely enjoyable idiosyncratic 'pop' western which along with the, for that time, freakishly violent The Wild Bunch, almost spelled the death-knell for Hollywood's most enduringly popular movie genre, the Western.

14. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Well, I certainly didn't mean to start WWIII. It never ceases to amaze me how fanboys resent having their films criticized as if I had just called their wife a tramp or their baby a homely thing.

Apologies to any I have offended with my remarks. I'm a firm believer in the freedom to worship at whatever altar you choose and if it includes the church of BC&TSK, so be it.

15. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Lovely [​IMG]

Well this fanboy can wait to receive his copy in the mail.

16. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Interestingly enough, as popular this movie was with the public eventually elevating it to classic status, there were quite a few critics (including Roger Ebert) who panned the film back in 1969. I've never really understood this as I found it to be one of the greatest westerns of all time.

As for the new special edition, I'll pass on the double-dip since the PQ is really good on the former edition.

17. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

I have the original DVD, but I'm thinking about upgrading for the new docu and deleted scene ... along with the DD 2.0 stereo soundtrack!. Nobody here has mentioned that yet: The original DVD was released with a DD 2.0 mono soundtrack; this new one is supposed to be stereo. (And I would love to hear "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" in stereo.) How does it sound? Is it a high bitrate track?

18. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

I'll buy it again, even though I know there'll be another deleted scene, outtake, commentary or what have you for the "40th Anniversary" re-re-release in 3 years.

19. Seth.H

Seth.H Agent

I apologise for any offence caused Thomas. My apologies to you mate. [​IMG]

20. Dave Hahn

Dave Hahn Second Unit

Dave Hahn
    It looks like I'm going to make a rare double-dip for this film. George Roy Hill is my favorite director and the new interviews and extra features on this release make it too enticing to resist.

If anyone from Universal is reading this thread, I hope they will consider revoking the dvd rights to The Great Waldo Pepper from GoodTimes Home Video and releasing this film, if not as a CE, then at least a decent print in OAR. The barnstorming biplane pilots of George Roy Hill's youth were his heros and The Great Waldo Pepper was a true labor of love, and it shows.