What's new

Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid - grab your Collectors Edition NOW!!! (1 Viewer)

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
Very impressed with the new set. It is one of the numbered 2 disk SE releases (can't remember which one but it is one after Mr & Mrs Smith Unrated).
Only downside is the packaging. This uses the flimsy card sleeve open at the top and bottom with the barcode cut out, rather than the more sturdy slipcases used for the recent Fox war and disaster movie 2 disk SE sets.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'm kind of in the middle with this film. It's a classic of its day, but I also find it to be a bit dated. It's widely considered to be one of the great screenplays (I read it many, many years ago), which makes me ALMOST wonder whether a remake would be appropriate. :D

The Wild Bunch, on the other hand, is probably my all-time favorite Western. Go figure!

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Re: "date" -

I can't speak for Aaron, but having seen so many "buddy" films since Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid it just doesn't seem as fresh as it once did, for me anyway. Not really the fault of the film, just a brief thought on how exposure to other works has affected my perception.

- Walter.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I've aleady stated in an earlier post my decision not to double dip on this release, but the stereo soundtrack does have me curious. I know the original theatrical release was mono, but I read somewhere that the film had been released as a 70mm blow-up as well. What is not known is what was on the 70mm tracks.
The VHS release from the 1980s had a remix done by Chase which kept dialog in the center but stereo-enhanced the music and effects. Perhaps that's what's is on the new DVD?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
re: "..... but I also find it a bit dated"

The anachronistic pop score by Burt Bacharach irretrievably dates Butch Cassidy as a memento of the 1960s as much as Our Man Flint. There's a reason Bacharach's music is often featured in those Austin Powers movies.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Walter and Thomas have both stated very nicely why Butch & Sundance feels dated to me (I think the soundtrack is really the big factor here). It doesn't have to do with the period elements of the production; rather its 1960s sensibilities (consider the uniforms and hairstyles in the original Star Trek series for a similar idea). Thanks, gents! :)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I picked up the new edition. Before I sell off my older one, let me ask ... the back of the previous DVD boasts of "bonus out-takes"... I guess I'm too lazy to go through the old and new to check, but let me ask anyone who knows... is there anything on the OLD disc that's not on the NEW one? :)

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
For those of you who are wondering about the details with this DVD release, I'll have a review up shortly answering a few of the questions posted.

Mike

josh4040

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
Could anyone find this in stores? I went to frys and best buy and neither one had it in stock...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks