What's new

But I have to watch television, too... (1 Viewer)

Jim Noble

Grip
I am shopping for a 16:9 RPTV to replace a 4:3 Toshiba 50" analog RPTV.

My home is in Central NH, 60 miles from the nearest OTA transmitters. This will never change.

My realistic signal sources are

1) Progressive scan DVD

2) Regular (interlaced) DVD

3) Laserdisc

4) DirectTV

5) "Digital" cable

6) ReplayTV digital playback of #s 4+5

I mostly watch DVDs. The wife and kids watch a lot of TV.

The problem is that both DirectTV and digital cable, IMO, look much worse on "HDTV ready" digital sets than they do on my 6 year old Toshiba. When a DVD is set up properly, the picture is better on a new set-a little better-but not enough to overcome the defects in TV viewing.

I don't see cable providing any HD content anytime soon. I'm not sure we can receive HD DirectTV (but I'm looking into it). The question is, are there any analog 16:9 sets that I should be looking at?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The closest you will get to a 16:9 analog set is the panasonic units with their game mode.

You can effectively turn off the line doubler in that mode and the TV behaves like an analog set with scan lines and everything you love about 480i images.

If 4:3 was more important to the family, perhaps 16:9 is the wrong way to go.

Regards

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
I think you need to relax Jim. Michael provided valid advice in that the Panasonic sets do have a game mode.

You probably know this, but the problem isn't with the sets...the problem is that analog signals really *are* lousy and these high resolution sets show every flaw in it.

I think you'd be perfectly satisfied with Direct-TV signals or the digital channels on your cable system. I don't watch Analog TV anymore...it's a joke compared to HDTV.

You'll definately want to upgrade your satellite service for HDNET, Showtime, and HBO in high-def. It is like watching a DVD...simply amazing.

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Jim,
Wanting an analog set right now because it doesn't show the flaws of a signal source is a bit like saying you don't have a cold because you can't see the virus - it's still bad, whether you acknowledge it or not. Where your effort needs to lie, IMHO, is in "how do I make the sources that I DO have look better on a quality unit". Being a former Green Mountain boy myself, I know the quality of OTA broadcasting leaves a TON to be desired. With that in mind, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend an HD-Directv set up. You can get real channels in decent quality DirecTv and have the option of getting the HD feeds (which you can pick up anywhere in the continental US). Michael was right in the post above about how good it looks. I don't have an HD set up, but am privvy to some that do and it looks great.
Here's a head-banger for ya' : do you buy a widescreen tv and worry about the wife and kids burning in 4:3 on it, or buy a 4:3 with squeeze and worry about burning in letterbox with your DVD's? That's my conundrum right now! No matter what, though, go with the highest quality set you can afford right now. You'll be happy you did later on down the line. Good luck!

Matt

Brad_V

Second Unit
You probably know this, but the problem isn't with the sets...the problem is that analog signals really *are* lousy and these high resolution sets show every flaw in it.
I think you'd be perfectly satisfied with Direct-TV signals or the digital channels on your cable system. I don't watch Analog TV anymore...it's a joke compared to HDTV.
But he can't get OTA HDTV, and there are few channels of it otherwise. Analog signals might be lousy, but it's common to hear digital TVs make it worse, and you go with what you got. So if all he can get is analog signals (and digital cable and DirecTV which may as well be analog), why would he want a digital TV unless he just doesn't want scan lines on DVDs? That's one for Jim to answer.

Jim, it seems hit-or-miss with digital TVs and good reception with cable/DirecTV. Sometimes the line-doubler helps, sometimes it makes it worse. The only guaranteed one to avoid has been the Mitsubishis, although they may have improved things lately. It's rare to hear a bad thing about the Pioneer Elite's line-doubler, but that's top-o-the-line with a top-o-the-line price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks